• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer wont start

jsepps

Reaction score
City, State
houghton
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer
It ran fine the other morning on the way to work but when I tried to start it after work it wouldnt fire at all

It turns over good and has good spark so I think it might be a fuel issue

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel pump relay
Fuel Filter
Fuel pump cuttoff or "inertia "switch
Fuel pump

When you first switch the key to "on" do you here an electric motor noise near the fuel fill area?

Fuel pump relay
Fuel Filter
Fuel pump cuttoff or "inertia "switch
Fuel pump

When you first switch the key to "on" do you here an electric motor noise near the fuel fill area?

Its not the cuttoff

Its next to a busy 4 lane highway so I cant hear very well there. I will go back later when traffic dies down to see if I can hear then

Fuel pump failures are quite common, especailly in warm or hot weather. See if you can find the fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail, looks like a tire schrader valve. Push on the center and see if fuel squirts out of there, if not then yes you have a fuel problem.

Fuel pump failures are quite common, especailly in warm or hot weather. See if you can find the fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail, looks like a tire schrader valve. Push on the center and see if fuel squirts out of there, if not then yes you have a fuel problem.

thanks

This sounds just like my 96. Did you get the problem pinpointed?

This sounds just like my 96. Did you get the problem pinpointed?

Not exactly. I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it did fire up until I stopped spraying. I got a fuel relay and a filter coming tomorrow

where is the fuel relay located?

I finally have some time to look at it tonight. Could someone please tell me where about where the fuel pressure test valve is?

Back