• Register Today It's free!

'96 heater core removal issue

lizardflats

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V-8
I need some help. I'm trying to replace the heater core in our '96 XLT and following the different posts here and the videos on eHow I've gotten almost all the way there, but I'm stuck.

In the picture I've included a link to, I've circled where the heater core tubes are stuck underneath the lip of the firewall and I can't get the heater box assembly far enough to the rear to get the tubes to clear so I can slide the core up out of the heater box.

http://lizardflats.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

The dash is free, but I can't seem to pull it any further to the rear.

Any tips on how to free up things enough to let the core be removed from the heater box?

On a related note, the factory manual says to "remove PCM" and "remove PCM heat sink". I've got the bolts out and the rim piece they hold off, but can't seem to see how the PCM box slides out. Any help on this?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last time I pulled the dash out it seemed to be stuck on the center console - there are two screws up under the drivers side of the dash on a metal bracket that keep you from moving back more than 4-5 inches. Not sure if you already removed, but they are pretty easy to overlook.

Good tip, I'll check for those. Can you give me an idea of where on the driver's side (outside edge, under steering column, etc.)?

I found the PCM removal instructions in my CD manual. I'll try removing that and the heat sink (which bends around and goes right above the heater core tubes) to see if that gives me any more room.

It almost on the floor on the left side of the console. Its bare metal with gold colored screws, sticking out a few inches past the front of the plastic. You may need to pull out the plastic console covers as well and remove the two small black screws that are attached to a metal bracket. This will allow you to lift the entire dash up and move the bottom back a good half foot.

Thanks! I've got the console moved back out of the way already, but I'll look for those screws and brackets.

Thanks, RomeovilleIL! You called it. There is a gold screw just to the right of the accelerator pedal that I removed and that allowed the dash to move back quite a bit further. I also removed the parking brake release which was called out in the service CD (along with the screw to the right of the accelerator pedal).

Got my leaky heater core out and now I get to try and get it all back together and working without leaving out some key fasteners.

I was using a set of videos on eHow.com as a guide, and they look pretty thorough, but they left out some very key items. I'm going to write up the problems and will post in a separate post for everyone's reference.

I'm glad you got it done. I was about ready to take the air hammer and cold chisel to the firewall before I found it last year when my wife's heater core blew. After pulling probably 60-70 fasteners winding up 3 inches shy is truly disheartening. Just wish Ford had kept the 1st gen design for the airbox! They only take out 4 bolts and the airbox comes in half like a clamshell. 20 minute job for them, 8 hours for us. Engineering genius.

I would love to meet these engineers and beat the %@$!# out of them. They over engineered so many things on these trucks. Idiots. I am pretty sure my heater core took a dump and I don't want to do this job.

...and I am the one that did a 5.0 swap in my ST, so it isn't like I am lazy.

Back