96 Limited Auto climate control HELP please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Limited Auto climate control HELP please!

williamc

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Limited
Hi,
I am an aussie and I am realing struggling to find anyone around here who knows anything about Explorers. Ive got a 1996 Explorer Limited with the electronic climate control. All of a sudden the heat & cold are not working.
I had the mechanic check the heater and he told me that the heat was coming through the hoses, so it must have been the electronic contro lunit that was not mixing it.
The cold does not work either.
Ive taken it to a autoelectrician and he checked the usual things, such as gas and power etc to compresser/condenser. He has come up with the same conclusion.
Im having trouble finding a used climate control here as the car is rather rare, and the limited is even rarer. Ford want $1800 for a new one.
1. Anyone know of any other suggestions, or some way of maybe bypassing the climate control or
2. Does anyone know if the standard manual type knobs can be switched over and just plugged in to work?
3. Does anyone have a used electronic control they may want to sell me. (Im guessing you have reading in deg F, our temps are deg C. Can they be changed?
Any help would be muched appreciated
Regards
William

IMHO............

If the mechanic says that the heating system and AC system works............but, you're not getting the hot/cold air.............I'd be looking at the control head and the blend doors.

Try a search: "AC Control head" or "Elec. Climate Control" or "Blend Doors"

Aloha, Mark

PS.................Parts wise, sometimes you just got to replace them...........I only mention "blend doors," cause to have them "get stuck" is a "known problem". You get hot, but no cold, or cold, but no hot.

williamc said:
Hi,
I am an aussie and I am realing struggling to find anyone around here who knows anything about Explorers. Ive got a 1996 Explorer Limited with the electronic climate control. All of a sudden the heat & cold are not working.
I had the mechanic check the heater and he told me that the heat was coming through the hoses, so it must have been the electronic contro lunit that was not mixing it.
The cold does not work either.
Ive taken it to a autoelectrician and he checked the usual things, such as gas and power etc to compresser/condenser. He has come up with the same conclusion.
Im having trouble finding a used climate control here as the car is rather rare, and the limited is even rarer. Ford want $1800 for a new one.
1. Anyone know of any other suggestions, or some way of maybe bypassing the climate control or
2. Does anyone know if the standard manual type knobs can be switched over and just plugged in to work?
3. Does anyone have a used electronic control they may want to sell me. (Im guessing you have reading in deg F, our temps are deg C. Can they be changed?
Any help would be muched appreciated
Regards
William
I have a good used climate control unit , if interested email me :usa:

Hey William how about a scarpyard?

Bill

Back