96 OHV lower radiator hose removal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 OHV lower radiator hose removal?

syn-

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt - wip
Ok, so the title is a little misleading, but I am having trouble detaching the lower radiator hose from the block. I moved the clamp, but no amount of tugging is getting this thing free. A friend recommended cutting the hose and prying it off, but I have had no success getting to under to pry. any recommendations?

Take a large pair of pliers or channelocks, open them up large enough to go around the hose at the neck, squeeze the pliers just enough to grasp the hose, then twist the pliers back and forth being careful not to overtorque the neck. It should break loose. Then you can tug on the hose to get it off the neck.

Get a small flat blade screwdriver under and start prying it back and hit it with PB Blaster. Work the screwdriver around the neck and keep squirting. It will come off.

I would suggest just cutting the hose off, I just finished changing the water pump, and rad on the wife's 5.0, and it was a pain. I had intended to replace all the hoses before I had even started, so it was no problem to slice them from one end to the other.

Back