96 privacy quarter glass interchange with what years? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 privacy quarter glass interchange with what years?

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
Somehow, my rear quarter glass shattered. No idea how. No indication it was shot.

My insurance deductable is $250. I know this is a fairly easy DIY project, so off to the junkyard I go.

All the 95-97 quarter glass was gone, or had deep interior scratches.

I did pick up a 91-94 one, with factory bronze tint, but I cannot tell if it matches mine or not.

Are there 91-94 ones that are bronze tinted, and 91-94 ones that are mirrored (privacy?) bronze tinted? Is this the same for 95-97?

I always thought it was either bronze tint or no tint for 91-94. I thought that was the same for 95-97. Never really thought about any variations though.

My luck will be that the piece I got will not match :mad: I did only pay $68 for it though, which is cheap for around here. If I was still in CO, my usual junkyard would have been $35. If it does not match, I might be visiting them...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a first gen piece of glass on my passenger side glass right now. It matches the rest fine, it's a dark tint, not bronze. All of the cargo glass sides are interchangeable, same holes and all. I even I have a matching set of spares off a '00, but I will not put them on because know body can tell the difference in what on there now. Only difference is the molding.

So, there are different bronze tints from 95-97...?

Who need a replacement, when you have Gorilla Duct tape :D

0913011631.jpg

0913011638.jpg

Kidding... Gorilla Duct tape was applied to both sides to keep the glass together for removal. Worked perfect :thumbsup: Came out in one piece :thumbsup:

Here is the used replacement I got from a local junkyard for $68. Looks to be a perfect match.

Replacement might be a 91-94 rear cargo window.
My original was Ford DOT-287 VF-448 5 A C
Replacement is Carlite DOT-287 VF-448 3 A F

0914011043.jpg

0914011044.jpg

One issue. I could not get the moulding that surrounds the glass to fit flush against the body. Mostly, the front edge might be 1/8" to 1/16" away from the body. The farther back, the closer to snug it gets. I used some 5/16" 3M Window-Weld Round Ribbon Sealer, but I wonder if I used some that is too thick.

I think the glass is sealed well.

Would you recommend that I lightly heat gun, or hair dryer, to problem areas on the inside, and push the glass from the outside to help it seat better?

or, would you recommend that I sit the Explorer out in the sun, and keep pushing in on the problem areas until they seat better? (tried this today with a sunny sky with high 70's temps, but nothing changed)

or, will it eventually seat itself flush by itself in time?

Overall, I was surprised on how easy replacing that window really was. The hardest parts were removing the interior cargo panel to get access, and removing the minor areas of butyl left from the factory install.

Another issue was that the moulding does not line up with the moulding that is on the hatch. Maybe 1/8" to 1/16" lower. You can see the difference in the pics. Close enough for me though. I am more worried about the moulding gap from the body.

i used no sealent on any of mine, and I have replaced both, and pulled them out to paint it JP style. and my frames are bent to hell. They have never leaked, even in downpoars.:salute:

I am still thinking I should take it back out, and use smaller Window-Weld...

Kidding... Gorilla Duct tape was applied to both sides to keep the glass together for removal. Worked perfect :thumbsup: Came out in one piece :thumbsup:

In retrospect, was the tape necessary? Did it flex much coming out or going back in?

Now that's what I consider "privacy glass"!
0913011638.jpg

In retrospect, was the tape necessary? Did it flex much coming out or going back in?

Yes. It shattered in pieces, and pieces were falling out. The Gorilla tape held it in one piece for removal. Way easier than dealing with pieces falling out, going everywhere, and having to clean up that mess.

No tape was used to install the used replacement glass.

Back