• Register Today It's free!

96 Ranger Clutch No Free Play

motogotro

Reaction score
City, State
Rockwall, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I have a 1996 Ranger XLT, 2.3l, 5 speed, 150k miles. My wife was driving it today and said it felt like it didn't want to go. After asking a lot of questions it seems that the engine was reving but the trunk was not accelerating so I began to suspect clutch issues. I drove it when I got home and the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping right now but I noticed that I don't have any free play in the clutch pedal now? I know I used to have about an inch of free play but now the pedal is solid right up against the stop.

Is it time for a clutch or is something else going on?

I drove the truck again this morning and now it seems fine. Free play back in the pedal and the clutch is working great. Hummmmmm.....

Does the free play go away as the engine warms up? Can you crack the bleeder and have a tiny bit of fluid come out and then it'll be fine again for awhile?

if so, it's a plugged bypass valve on the master cyl. Best to replace the MC (I had this happen once on my '94 Ranger). Not a real common failure, but certainly not unheard of.

The clutch slave cylinder (inside the tranny) leaked and you will get play. There really isn't much cure for it but replace it with new one. Since you got 150K miles out of it, it maybe time for new clutch kit as well. I would do the entire clutch job and would also remove the flywheel and replace that rear main seal (nothing to do with clutch, but the only time get to see it and they do leak and will ruining the clutch).

Back