96 shifting issues flashing od light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 shifting issues flashing od light

lifeguard379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
sacremento,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 eddie bauer 2 door
Hello everyone long time no post for me. I recently purchased a 96 4.0 ohv Explorer that had a leaky transmission for $400. after welding the crack in the extension housing. and replacing the vehicle speed sensor and the output speed sensor and the instrument cluster I still have no speedometer and the overdrive light is flashing. And it is not shifting correctly. I am at a loss as to look at and I have not come up with any results in the search. If I can't get it fixed for cheap I'm putting the engine into my 93 crawler. And the interior into my 97 V8. But this one seems like a nice truck and I hate to scrap it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without a speed signal the transmission will not work like it should, just going to have to troubleshoot it and figure out why there is no speed signal. May have to use a scope to check for speed signal at different points in the circuit.

So I was looking at another helpful thread that talks about the harness connection points I took them apart and all looked clean so basically I just need to Ohm out the wires and find a short?

And thank you for your reply and input.

Or are you talking about an oscilloscope? Only time I've ever used one of those is when I'm timing the chuck on the CNC lathe at work.

So does it make any difference that when I changed my instrument cluster and I pulled out the shift indicator the sticker on it said a4ld e? A 96 has a 4r55w right? Not an A4Ld?

But it does sound like not an electronic issu not an internal issue?

Well if you had a good speed signal and still doesn't work right a internal problem may be a option. Correct any obvious problems first before trying to diagnosis any transmission issues.

Back