96 Sport, In the middle of lower intake job, have a question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Sport, In the middle of lower intake job, have a question...

Velvis

Reaction score
City, State
Medfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Hey All,

Spent the day tearing down the top of the engine to fix a leaking lower intake gasket. That was a learning experience....Anyways I have started to put it back together and have the manifold back in place, but havent got to the valve covers or the putting the plenum back in place.

I bought the felpro kit that has everything needed and I have two gaskets that fit the top of the manifold and 3 extra o-rings left over.

I dont recall taking a gasket off between the plenum and the manifold, but it was a long day....so who knows.....

So I have a question:
Does the 96 use a gasket between the manifold and the plenum in addition to the rubber o-rings stuck into the plenum itself?

or are these just additional gaskets that fit engines covered by the kit I bought?

Im back at it tomorrow so any quick replies would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a OHV intake on my shelf. It uses just the o-rings. Not sure what the Fel-Pro pieces are you are looking at. But usually it says on the box.

As an update, I completed replacing the lower intake manifold and managed to get it all back together without any extra parts. (something I am famous for).

However the truck is leaking a fair amount of oil now. I tried tightening the valve covers but it is still leaking. I am not sure exactly where it is coming from.

It doesnt appear to be "burning" oil, there is no white smoke coming out the tailpipe and the truck runs great.

Am I correct in my assumption that if it was leaking oil from the lower intake manifold (from a bad repair job) I would see white smoke coming from the exhaust or experience some sort of indication that oil was entering where it shouldnt be? I would also assume if the lower intake was indeed leaking oil, I would be experience coolant leaking as well (which I am not)

Obviously, I really don't want to take the whole thing apart again, but now I have to figure out the oil leak, so I was hoping for some tips in identifing where it might be coming from. Any suggestions really.

Thanks for any replies.

Did you put some silicone where the head and intake meet? Also, did you put any silicone at the front and back where the block meets the intake?

As an update, I completed replacing the lower intake manifold and managed to get it all back together without any extra parts. (something I am famous for).

However the truck is leaking a fair amount of oil now. I tried tightening the valve covers but it is still leaking. I am not sure exactly where it is coming from.

It doesnt appear to be "burning" oil, there is no white smoke coming out the tailpipe and the truck runs great.

Am I correct in my assumption that if it was leaking oil from the lower intake manifold (from a bad repair job) I would see white smoke coming from the exhaust or experience some sort of indication that oil was entering where it shouldnt be? I would also assume if the lower intake was indeed leaking oil, I would be experience coolant leaking as well (which I am not)

Obviously, I really don't want to take the whole thing apart again, but now I have to figure out the oil leak, so I was hoping for some tips in identifing where it might be coming from. Any suggestions really.

Thanks for any replies.

Can you use a mirror to see the leak? It is probably toward the firewall if you can't see it.
How tight did you make the valve covers? I split a valve cover gasket once because i tightened it a bit more than I should.

The other thing is like what team said - you have to follow those instructions with the RTV carefully...

I did use the RTV where the gasket kit instructed (I am not 100% sure of the names of the actual parts). Suffice it to say I put the RTV toward the back of the engine and toward the front where the replacement gaskets do not meet as per the instructions included with the gasket kit.

However this was the only two places I used the RTV. After putting the gaskets on each side I did the RTV and torqued down the manifold (or what I believe is the manifold).

I did not use any RTV after that. I replaced another gasket on top of the manifold and the 3 black gaskets on the black plastic thing that sits on top of it all.

I did use the RTV where the gasket kit instructed (I am not 100% sure of the names of the actual parts). Suffice it to say I put the RTV toward the back of the engine and toward the front where the replacement gaskets do not meet as per the instructions included with the gasket kit.

However this was the only two places I used the RTV. After putting the gaskets on each side I did the RTV and torqued down the manifold (or what I believe is the manifold).

I did not use any RTV after that. I replaced another gasket on top of the manifold and the 3 black gaskets on the black plastic thing that sits on top of it all.

Did you use a Torque wrench? Follow the torque pattern?

Unfortunately no. I bought a torque wrench and was prepared to do so, but after I put the RTV in place I realized I didnt have the proper adaptor to go from the torque wrench size to the 10 MM bolt socket. So I did the best I could at the time which was, follow the torque pattern and increasing tightness over 3 passes like the instructions said, but I didnt use the actual torque wrench unfortunately..

If it was leaking from improper torquing of the gasket wouldnt oil and perhaps antifreeze be being burned internally and resulting in white smoke from the exhaust?

I have not lost any antifreeze at all since the repair. It just leaks oil and a pretty good amount.

Try to see exactly where the oil is coming from. I would think it would be at the front and back of the block between the heads (the flat spots between the heads) if you didn't silicone them the are probably leaking (chevy v8s are bad for this)

I'm concerened now that you under/overtightened bolts. You could have broken a gasket in a spot where it comes in contact with oil and not coolant. RTV can also squeeze out.

according the the manual: NOTE: Apply Silicone Gasket and Sealant F6AZ-19562-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specifications WSE-M4G323-A6 to the intake manifold-to-cylinder head parting seam. on both sides.

Also, if you are asked to go over something three times the clamping force has to be precise, think of putting 3 rocks on a board, two light on one end and one heavy in the center or vice versa. Something is getting warped...

maybe try to tighten up the lower bolts with a torque wrench and see what happens? I don't think you can get to all of them without the top off. I think you are gonna have to tear it down again.

Make sure you use the torque wrench this time! Don't feel bad, I was in a shop last week for an inspection and someone came back with an ex that had that job and he had both oil and antifreeze leaking. They had another tech just start tearing it down...

Yeah I am starting to think I need to tear it all down again. It wasnt too difficult the first time, just time consuming especially since I had no idea what I was doing. I think I will be able to do it much quicker this time.

did you ever figure out what was wrong? my vehicle is having the same problems but its only leaking coolant. i've found where its leaking at and similiar to your picture is where the leak is coming from. its coming from a expanison plug if i'm not mistaken? any ideas about whats wrong

Back