96 Third row seat instal

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Id like to install a third row seat in my 96. Ive seen kits online but they are too expensive. can i just take any bench seat and drill holes and install it with seat belts?? Anyone have a third row seat in thier second gen that can help me out id really appreciate id. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have one in my '96. I got the seat from a budy of mine that made it his self. Looks great and fits good in my truck. I will go out and take some pics of it and have them for you tonight. I also had it inspected by the KHP and they said it was ok and safe.Just let me know what you need to know and I will try to help. Eric

im basically just trying to figure out a way to put the seat in without having to buy the one for 800 dollars. i was thinking of maybe a bench seat from a ranger or something like that, just trying to see what i can do i really dont have 800 to spend.

Well the pics I took did not turn out so I will try agan tomorrow. As for a bench seat out of a ranger I think it might be to long. I would try a back seat out of a Jeep or older Bronco or something like that. Trust me I under stand about not having that kind of money to spend on something like that. I mean come on why cant they be more affordable. Eric

I tried to do this with a 3rd row seat from an Aerostar van. I could not find a way to mount it without raising the seat too high, not letting enough headroom. I did not have access to anyone with a welder or maybe something could have been fabricated.

yeah i hear you i only spent 1500 on the explorer so spending 700 on a set doesnt make sense lol. the problem with most seat im finding in they sit too high so id have to custom make a bracket and my welder and all that good stuff is in storage for now. im hoping to find a solution soon.

Back