96 vs 98 5.0 egr | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 vs 98 5.0 egr

nimblemotors

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0
I've got a 96 explorer 5.0 that I am wanting to swap into a 2000 sport.
I'm in California, so the engine swap rules say only the same or newer year engines can be swapped into a vehicle, and the vehicle must be taken to a BAR inspector to verify the engine swap.
The 96 engine is older than the 2000 vehicle, but in 2000 the 5.0 came in the explorer (4-door). So I was hoping to just say the engine is a 2000.
However, I've learned the EGR setup is different, so is the BAR inspector going to be able to see the year difference? I don't want to go through all the trouble just to find out it won't pass.

I've searched trying to see the different EGRs, but no luck finding pics of the 96 vs 98

The PCM will tell the tale to the inspection station so trying to swap the EGR (won't work cross years anyway) is not going to get you by.

I've read of inspectors verifying the block ID numbers so even trying to use a '96 long block has risks.

No question you'll need a complete 2000-2001 EFI system with matching manifolds and EGR.

Thanks, that is what I figured, just want to make sure.

So now I'm thinking I need to get a pre-96 2-door Sport for the V8.

Is the first generation basically the same, so the v8 will fit if I swap everything, wiring, dash, etc?

Back