• Register Today It's free!

JCross0525

Reaction score
City, State
Alpine, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Explorer XLT
Hello Everyone,

I have an annoying issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. My 1996 Explorer XLT decides it doesn't want to start after being driven for 30 mins or more. Now this problem only lasts till it cools down say 20 mins or so. But if I drive it a ways, shut it off, then immediately try to start it again, it won't start back up. It acts like it's not getting fuel, it kind of bumbles around if I pump the gas, but ultimately it won't actually start up.

After I walk away and let it cool off, it fires right up!

Any ideas what the issue is??

Thanks,

I think you should check the engine coolant temp sensor. ECT sensor.

There is actually 2 coolant sensors on the intake manifold. One sends signal to the gauge, the other sends signal to the PCM, and has a 2 wire harness. This is the one to check ( I would just replace it myself).

Also, let the engine cool and open the radiator cap. You need to make sure coolant is full and flowing from reservoir to radiator. Sometimes this hose gets clogged, and the radiator will be low while the reservoir shows a nice full level. Beware of this. If the engine is warm, without warm coolant on the ect sensor the pcm will be confused ( for lack of better terms) . If the coolant level is too low, the ect sensor is just measuring air temps.

Okay I will look into locating and replacing that ECT sensor, thanks Jon!

Next is the Idle air control valve, there was a TSB or Recall way back for a "cold soak -20 to 30 min" issue. Probably time to replace, or at least clean. If you can keep your foot on the gas just a bit and it runs that is likely it.

Back