96 XLT bulding 5r55e, VB help!

chuck_2584

Reaction score
City, State
Schenectady
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hi!
I picked up a 96 rollover a year and a half ago, and with major work it looks almost ford, again (replaced the roof, 2 doors, tailgate, windshield). As soon as I got on the road, I found out it had that nasty 2nd band problem. So I went about purchasing a 5r55e carcass, a rebuild kit, superior VB kit, and dug in (might as well have an upgrade while I am at it). Dead stop. The tranny arrived as a 2wd model, but the seller supplied me with the necessary housing and final shaft to convert it. Before going further, I contacted my parts guy, and the best info he can come up with, is the seperator plate came as one of six variations. Even if the tranz came with a detail tag, it would not match what I need to work this bugger.

Does anyone here know if the valvebody I have (2wd, orig) is different that a 4wd, or is it just the sep. plate? If VB is the same, any idea what the seperator plate part no. would be for a 4.0l v6, non-SOHC ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully make my coming weeks easier!

only difference between a 2wd and 4wd tranny should be the extension houising. if i recall correctly, a 2wd will have a tailshaft extensionhousing, with a seal and a yoke or somethign at the end, while the 4wd is more or less just open, and relies on the transfercase sealing the end of the tranny.

valve bodies shouldnt have any changes

No the output shaft is quite different too. Longer and with speedo gears on it.

The Sep plate is the same for all 95-97. Do the FORD Mod using kit 3L5Z-7M203-JA.

The plate itself is 1 F5TZ-7A008-CA (if you do the mod)

The sep plate to case gasket is 1 2L5Z-7C155-AA

The Sep plate to valve body gasket is 1 2L5Z- 7D100-BA

More info is available in the 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary (including the above) It is at the top of the forum in the stickies section.

Back