Swinson1974

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4.0 Explorer XLT
Here's my problem.

My x's seats sucked. musta been the econo seats. the head rest was less than an inch think when I got it. they were 100% no power, and were the ones that came with it. I hit the u pull it salvage yard and grabbed two power seats out of a mountaineer 5.0. 4inches thick and all the bells and whistles except the pull out lumbar for under the knees.

Driver's is full power, so did passenger first, my exploder is a daily driver... I pulled the two wire wraps apart that were under the door sill and no wide solid black or black with white stripe.

I have no problem just hard wiring 2 wires to the harness (i took everything stock to the door sill have harness for seat too) to ignition and ground. but i'm having second thoughts that I may be missing something or an easier way.

I can go back to yard and take rest of wires to wherever they may go.

this opened up another thing, in having my 4th explorer... is there a good place for and ignition power hook up? that is mostly used? I've been all over the place in my other ones depending on the amount of stereo equipment i put in.

Anyone have any insight?
i'm imagining that running two wires from either site to a central spot under the dash would be beneficial. I actually had a friend volunteer "hook them up to lighter adapters and plug them in when you want to move it" lol. NO!

I will do it right or not at all. thx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all you need for the seat is power and ground. tap into power wherever you like (even the battery) just make sure to add a fuse.

I appreciate that. Common sense is common sense. I feel a bit better about messing with a daily driver my job depends on, lol.

I'd try and go to ignition do to the possibilities. but if I may be the only one driving it to begin with, and kids will only be in whatever wife gets... i'm sure I can car guy it and make it to my specs. I just worry about wife driving it with the kids in it.

I appreciate that. Common sense is common sense. I feel a bit better about messing with a daily driver my job depends on, lol.

I'd try and go to ignition do to the possibilities. but if I may be the only one driving it to begin with, and kids will only be in whatever wife gets... i'm sure I can car guy it and make it to my specs. I just worry about wife driving it with the kids in it.

under normal conditions the seats have power all the time, that's why i suggested connecting them (with a dedicated fuse) directly to the battery. if you tap into an existing power source you don't know what amp fuse is protecting that circuit. if it's not sufficient, you may blow the fuse when you move the seat. if you add a fuse, add it close to the battery. this way if there's ever a short the fuse will blow and protect the wire. the ground can be attached to any metal surface, for example, a seat bolt.

I did it on my 95. Took about 30min. You just have to run two for power.

Awesome, ty!

Back