• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT power windows

jay1028

Reaction score
City, State
N.E Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
The driver's side has begun to act up. When the window is open by the one touch method, after the window is all the way down, the motor continues to run and a loud clicking sound is heard. I immediately raised the window a small bit to stop it from continuing. Now I have to open the window carefully to make sure it doesn't go all the way down. I replaced the motor a few years ago after the OEM finally gave out and it has been fine until now.

Any ideas? All other windows operate normally. Of course, this is the window that gets all the use.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aftermarket motors generally don't last as long as the OE ones. No surprise that you may have to replace it again. Good luck.

That is not the response I was looking for. I am not seeking opinions, just assistance in troubleshooting. The motor has no circuitry in it to cause this situation, didn't you know that??

Aftermarket motors generally don't last as long as the OE ones. No surprise that you may have to replace it again. Good luck.

No one has stated that the motor is at fault. It is operating the window up and down.

Take a deep breath. Exhale slowly. Good.
Now... Rather than speculate, the best thing would probably be to remove the interior door panel and get a look inside to see what the issue is. That would be the best troubleshooting advice, wouldn't it? Assuming the motor is not at fault, inspect the lift/lower mechanism close up when operating to determine what the trouble is. Good Luck.

Before I tear into things, I would like for someone to tell me what is involved in stopping the motor when the window hits bottom. Is there a limit switch that is tripped by a lever or is there electronics that senses an over current condition and turns the motor off until it is raised again. That is all am requesting. Not opinions. I am not new to this forum and have never had a response like that that wasn't helpful.

Your original post said "any ideas?" You received ideas from Bobflood and me. Maybe if you were a little more specific in your original post as you were in #5 you'd get responses that are more to your liking. Good Luck.

That is not the response I was looking for. I am not seeking opinions, just assistance in troubleshooting. The motor has no circuitry in it to cause this situation, didn't you know that??
No one has stated that the motor is at fault. It is operating the window up and down.

If fact, the motor does have "circuitry in it to cause that situation." It sees the increased current flow when the window stops and shuts off the power to the windings. I assumed that you knew that when I made my comment about the aftermarket motors not lasting as long. My mistake in assuming you knew that. Good luck.

Back