• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT running boards

ejscarfo

Reaction score
City, State
Islip, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
Like my 91 Explorer, the rocker panel on my 96 has rusted through. My 91 had it on the driver's side, but my 96 has it on the passenger side. You can't really see it because the running boards hide it, then when you open the back door, there is a big hole in the door jam, about 5 inches wide. I need to see the extent of the damage so I can determine whether to replace just the rocker panel or if I need to replace the dog leg too. How difficult is it to remove the cover over the running boards (I assume its a cover and the actual support you step on is underneath it)? Is it just screws and clips, etc? I have the actual running board, not the rocker molding to clear up any questions.

If anyone has pictures of this being done, I'd love to see so I know what I'd be getting myself into. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bolts from the back, push in clips to pop off from the front. If you have a hole in the jamb already, you most likely won't have anything left when you remove the boards.

They remove as one entire unit. 9 bolts behind the rockers from underneath the truck, remove the bracket from the truck, not the board from the bracket... 2 screws at the front and back edge in the wheel wells, and the pins that you will have to pop out with a trim removal tool or a big screwdriver. Either way, you won't have much to work with afterwards unless you completely replace the rockers.

If the seam is at all compromised by the rear door, the doglegs are gone, and probably are anyway...

The seam is still intact, however, I need to check if there is damage underneath the running board that is not visible from the outside. The dog leg could be toast, I just can't see it. I was hoping I could just remove the cover, I guess they come out as a unit, correct?

Yep- easiest to just remove the whole thing as a unit :thumbsup:

Rustin bastids...I had to do a wee bit of cutting to get mine off, and haven't looked back--take the boards off the brackets, then take the brackets off.

Rustin bastids...I had to do a wee bit of cutting to get mine off, and haven't looked back--take the boards off the brackets, then take the brackets off.

I was able to take a look thru the hole this weekend and saw one of the plastic clips from the cover. I think what I might do is unbolt the running board and once it has wiggle room, cut off the clips. Does anyone know where to get replacement clips and how much they cost? A part number would be great too.

I don't know if LMC carries them, might be tough to find as they're fitted to a specific size and depth. I popped mine off with a trim puller on my first truck, and with a screwdriver on 2. I think I only broke one clip across 3 trucks doing them. When you pop them with a screwdriver (use the widest you can find) you'll have to pull down from both sides. You have a much greater chance of pushing through the rust on the rocker than you do breaking a clip, and since you're going to be replacing them anyway, I'd just pop the clips, not cut them. 99% chances are that you will be able to reuse them.

I don't know if LMC carries them, might be tough to find as they're fitted to a specific size and depth. I popped mine off with a trim puller on my first truck, and with a screwdriver on 2. I think I only broke one clip across 3 trucks doing them. When you pop them with a screwdriver (use the widest you can find) you'll have to pull down from both sides. You have a much greater chance of pushing through the rust on the rocker than you do breaking a clip, and since you're going to be replacing them anyway, I'd just pop the clips, not cut them. 99% chances are that you will be able to reuse them.

Thanks! I do have the trim pullers and they work well. We'll see what happens when I actually tackle the job. The weather here on Long Island has been a bit iffey these past few weeks and its still not warm enough to paint, etc.

Also, I've been meaning to ask, I saw LMC has the rocker panels listed. Are they the kind that need to welded in after the old ones are cut out or are they the ones that go over the existing rocker? I've used the ones that go over and with a little finessing, they work well. Its my work and play truck so it doesn't have to be show car, besides the running board will go over it anyway.

Back