96 xlt v8 AWD loss of power stearing/belt smoking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 xlt v8 AWD loss of power stearing/belt smoking

nickmonica10

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I need your help guys, I have a 1996 explorer v8 5.0 that currently broke down on me. I lost my power steering going down the high way so I pulled over and seen that my serpentine belt wasn't turning with the motor.. it was smoking like a willie nelson concert. so I turned off the engine. I thought my problem was my water pump failing or something in the motor locking up. I took my belt off and spun all my pulleys and they all were in good shape. what could be my problem? If anyone could help me out so I can get started in the right direction it would be appreciated. thank you and god bless

One thing that comes to mind is the ac compressor. It may have locked up during it's cycling, which it does in every position of the HVAC controls, except for "floor".

I checked it out and it very well could be that, but I noticed the pulley under the tensioner pulley is very hard to rotate. the diagram on the hood says its an idler pulley. would that be a easy cheap fix?

If it's the idler pulley it's a very easy fix.

Go to the parts store, grab a new idler pulled, and it's literally bolted right on.

Back