• Register Today It's free!

97 4.0x fouling plugs!

treybaxter

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 xlt
My '97 explorer keeps fouling plugs. About time for a new one, but trying to get a few more miles out of it. Also developed an oil leak and coolant leak. Appears to be oil in the radiator (pressure tested transcooler but no bubbles). My thoughts of course are the head gasket. But with a plug that looks like this can all that be from a head gasket? Or is this evidence of a bad set of rings and therefore the engine needs to be completely overhauled? These plugs have less than 20k miles on them. Also I'm not saying they all look like this. My scanner said misfire on 2 and 4, and #4 is dry and not too bad looking. Also scanning bank 1&2 O2 sensors lean. And EGR codes. Thanks in advance.

http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/redkneck1/?action=view&current=0523090942-00.jpg

OK, going to bump this once. Put all new plugs in yesterday, changed oil, added lucas oil treatment to stop leaks (hopefully help stop seapage around valves). Only one plug was looking like this, so i screwed in one of those no foul spark plug sleeves to slow it down. Still doesnt account for oil in my water though.

Back