97 4x4 v8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 4x4 v8?

Ok, this is the deal. I have a X with a v8 and allwheel drive I want to make it a true 4x4. This is where it gets a little hairy. If ford did not make a v8 4x4 at all then my computer will not work right? And if the did not make a v8 4x4 there is no transfercase that would work for a solid axle swap right? The reason I ask is I just spent $1300.00 on a new transfercase. I could really use anyone help. The car is payed for so selling it is not somthing I want to do.

Thank you in advance,

Jared

Jared.. your computer will not work because you don't have one! The transfer case is all mechanical. Infact, your truck doesn't know whether its 2WD or AWD. But, you can add the computer from a V6 Explorer and get the dash bezel with the switch and just add either the stock V6 transfer case or something else. Lots of different transfer cases will bolt up to your AODE, the problem comes from clearance issues.

One memeber here has already done a AWD to 4WD conversion. Stadx2. Do a search cause he has some info about it. But, all he did was get a 4wd computer and selector from a v6 X, the BW 4405 (stock v6 tcase) and an Advanced Adapter to join the AODE to the 4405. To use the adapter he had to change the tranny output shaft. All this sounds like a lot of work.. but since he did all the trail breaking it should actually be pretty easy and cheap. I think he said his conversion cost around $1300 or so. You should have held out.

Hey.. what did you do with your old transfer case!? :D

Back