• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 Awd suspension questions

sandrat84

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I'm picking a up a 4 door 97 5.0 awd ex. I have access to a 97 v6 2 door explorer for parts. My questions are.
1) What's the difference between the 2 door sport swaybars and the 4 door swaybars?
2) The rear of the 97 is missing the leaf springs and axle. I know I can use the axle from the donor explorer, but what about the suspension. Will running the 2 door mono leaf setup drop my 4 door explorer and if so how far?
3) will the mono leaf safely support the weight of a 4door? Eventually I want to build the 5.0 awd and take to the drag strip or mild cornering fun. Thanks for your time and info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn’t want to use either the sway bar stuff, or the mono leaves on a 4 Door. Get the correct equipment.

What gears are in the v6 axle? My guess is 4.10.

The v8 most likely has 3.73 gears in the front, and the missing rear. It was probably LSD.

If the gear ratios aren't the same, it's a NO GO.

Also the v6 axle will be missing a couple of attachment points.

The springs, HELL NO. The usual swap is 4 door leaves into a sport.

Those mono leaf springs will sag like a 90 ears old's …

The V8 will certainly be a 3.73 limited slip.

ALL 302 explorers are 3.73 limited slip
Mono leaf goes in the trash, those can barely support the weight of the sport let alone the 4 door.
Monoleaf was a BAD IDEA

Both explorers are diff code d4. I will keep hunting for or have some made to lower it. I forgot I have sway bars off my 98 sitting in the side yard I can put on the 97 4 door. So really I just need the rear axle and front diff.

You only need the rear axle
D4= 3.73 limited slip rear
The front diff is the same from both trucks
You just need some leaf springs and a rear driveshaft for a V8
Check craigslist, or call my stepson Jerry he is in Bailey colorado and likely has a set of springs for you
PM me if interested

the reason I need the front diff is because my friend was going to pull the diff put of the 97 for his other explorer. I have him talked into not yanking it and just taking the one I got out of the parts Explorer. I'll send you a a message about those Springs from your son.

I daily drive a 98 4 X4 Explorer. the 97 I'm getting as a play toy and something to wrench on with my boys. I'm stuck between a 2-inch drop or 3 inch drop.

Back