'97 5.0 Liter Harmonic Balancer Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 5.0 Liter Harmonic Balancer Problem

alfben75

Reaction score
City, State
University Place, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I have a '97 5.0 liter explorer that needs new timing cover gaskets replaced. I am stuck with removing the harmonic balancer. I have read many posts about using the stock bolt/washer to remove the balancer. Let me know again how this method works. I currently have the stock bolt/washer out, water pump, and radiator. Do I screw the stock bolt/washer back in a little and then use the pulley on top of that? I'm not replacing the timing chain nor the harmonic balancer itself. Just the gaskets. Have coolant leaking. Need clarification on removal of harmonic balancer. Thanks.

alfben75
WA
'97 5.0 Liter Explorer

new stock bolt

In addition to the removal of the harmonic balancer, is it true that a new stock bolt is needed as well? Thanks.

alfben75
'97 5.0 liter
WA

are you sure it needs to come off? on the ohv v-6 engine we did the timing cover without touching the balancer.not sure on the v-8 though.

On the 5 liter, according to the Ford Service Manual...

The crankshaft damper bolt is not a torque to yield as it IS on the 4 liter...So just torque it to 110-130 ft. lbs. and have at it...

On removing the damper, you remove the bolt and use the jackscrew on the damper removal tool adapter to assist in removing the damper.. And removing the damper and front cover is outlined to replace the timing cover gaskets...

Attachments

• 5literdamper removal.gif
    5literdamper removal.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,095

Back