97 5.0 mountaineer coolant leak & tapping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 mountaineer coolant leak & tapping

monty98

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
Back at trying get this 97 that thought should be close pristine with only 132k on it but chasing issues... prior 97 or the 98 never had these kind of issues & way more miles!

I have monitored codes & coolant, oil & tranny temps with Forscan & no issues with temps but it now throwing different exhaust code P0153 which could be caused by a leak in exhaust somewhere. (also codes relating to abs that keep migrating as change out sensors but currently abs dtc c1102).

Radiator/heater core flush plus replaced egr tube, speed sensors front passenger & rear & codes cleared for awhile but hadn't driven enough for drive cycles. Took 270 miles & the codes popping related to exhaust & engine light now on. Tapping sounds like driver side plus the coolant level drops overflow reservoir full line dropped to empty possibly still burping some but think that not the issue. Exhaust has lots moisture that drips but no to hardly any smell of coolant. No steam inside engine compartment so not cracked head (mechanic says).

Haven't noticed anything in oil so far but can keep monitoring that. Engine runs strong. Sometimes heard what seems sound of liquid dripping something hot/exhaust but can not see it or evidence of leaks. I'm heading toward driver manifold leak due to tapping. Can that also be my coolant leak?

Engine pretty clean but when we get a warm day in this yoyo weather having here but so grateful just far enough south missing brunt of the storms but getting tons of rain! may go after it again with the pressure washer.

I don't have spare $ or ability do work myself so wanting try determine where focus. My take would be start with the tapping manifold anyway, correct? If when have manifold off (looks like original) & replace & don't see any other issues would it be safe to presume not head gasket? (run compression test $50 at that point or before?) What things look for? If head gasket he says need sent head out ($175) but are there new ones better suited not cost much more, necessary??? Fortunately, he good & charges very reasonable flat labor charge if he has time to fit in his schedule.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, feedback so can get this vehicle dependable running condition.

Your 97 has the tubular exhaust manifolds, correct? These always crack under the shields and cause a tapping noise. I think they didn't go to the cast style manifold until 98.

I would get the free rental coolant pressure tester from Autozone and find out where your leak is. It's MUCH easier to find a leak when you don't need to get the engine hot and/or running. It's super easy to do and a very well designed kit.

Back