'97 5.0L Mountaineer CEL w/ P0133 Code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 5.0L Mountaineer CEL w/ P0133 Code

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 5.0 V8 Mountaineer
Hoping for a little clarification. I searched but wanted to be absolutely sure before I go buy parts and start ripping into the rig.

I've got a '97 Mountaineer, 2WD, 5.0L V8. CEL came on yesterday. Went to Autozone to get the codes checked. Only code is P0133 - "bank 1 sensor 1 heated oxygen sensor slow response". No driveability issues before or since the CEL, and I believe the O2 sensors are original @ 145k miles (I bought it around 80k and haven't replaced them since then for sure), so I'm thinking the sensor itself or wiring are at fault. I've gathered so far that bank 1 sensor 1 is the pre-cat O2 sensor on the passenger side. My question is, do I need to pull the center console to get to the pre-cat O2 sensor? And if so, can I access both pre-cat O2 sensors (bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1) from the access bay under the console? I only ask because I'd like to replace both front sensors (if one's bad the other should be soon), but I don't have a jack or stands at my house, so I'm wanting to see if this is something I can do at home or if I need to bother my friends and relatives for a jack and some driveway space.

Cheers for any assistance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you don't appear to have a code reader or scanner I would disconnect the negative battery cable for at least thirty minutes. This will clear the code. Then I'd drive around some more and see if the same code comes back. If it does it probably needs to be looked at. I haven't had to deal with any of my O2 sensors yet but here is a good write up on removing the center console to access them.

Console removal link

Sadly no code reader at home, hence the trip to Autozone. With this many miles I should probably pick up a cheap one just to have around. I'll give that a shot though. Thanks for the link, I had found that one in my search but wasn't positive if both sensors could be reached from there.

Get a Scangauge.
Not only does it ready and reset codes, but it does and reads other stuff.

IMG_2009_withdims.jpg

Posted via Mobile Device

It will be a lot easier to reach the connectors with the console removed.

The bank 2 upstream sensor is easy-it is the one right under the transmission. You can also easily reach it's connector.

The bank 1 upstream sensor ( and both downstream sensors) are located on the passenger side of the transmission, and their connectors are just out of reach to effectively re connect them without removing the console, and access panel.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209770&highlight=console

once in there you will find the connectors are very easy to reach with both hands, and, you can see the routing of the wires better.

Thanks for the info! If the CEL comes back on after I pull the battery cable I'll probably just pull the console and replace the passenger side sensor for now and then wait until the driver side one goes too and replace it when I can borrow a jack.

I have the Actron CP9180 scanner that I got on sale for $80. I was split between that and the Equus 3130 scanner, but opted for the Actron because of a sale. It is a decent tool but the Equus 3130 would have slightly better real time data I think. The ScanGauge tools look like good scanners too. I personally like to have a larger display for on the spot diagnostics. However if you want in depth data there are laptop adapters that will do far more than any hand held scanner can.

Actron CP9180

Equus 3130

Replacing parts to diagnose problems tends to be an expensive way to go. These types of scanners will pay for themselves quite quickly.

Thanks for the links and the advice. The CEL ended up going away before I even had a chance to pull the battery cable and hasn't come back on, but with this many miles a scanner would probably be money well spent. I was actually thinking about picking up a laptop adapter to kind of strike a compromise between price and capability. The Acton scanner you linked to is the same one my local Autozone uses.

When the time finally does come to pull the O2 sensor that tutorial is going to be invaluable. This forum has saved me a lot of time, hassle, and money :thumbsup:

Back