• Register Today It's free!

97-99 4L sohc best mileage?

dreamcargt

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
none
I am trying to pick the "best" Explorer to buy. It looks like in my research that the 97 -99 sohc V6 was rated at 18 city/ 23 hwy, which is better than newer ones. Did they offer a manual 5 speed with these 4L engines? I know now it just comes with a 5 speed automatic. I thought maybe this could be the difference.

Any thought on why the first few years of the sohc engine had a higher mileage rating?

Thanks.

The earlier years don't necessarily have a higher mileage rating. You need to be sure you are comparing identical vehicles (same axle ratio, tire size, # of doors, 2WD vs. 4WD vs. AWD). For instance, my '97 SOHC 4x4 2-door is rated at 15 MPG city, 19 MPG highway. Mine falls right in line with those numbers. No the 5-speed manual was not available on the SOHC from '97 through '00. Ford didn't have a manual that they felt would stand up to the added horsepower and torque of the SOHC so they kept the OHV around through '00. Once ford had a manual that they felt would work in '01, they dropped the OHV from the lineup. I don't believe they put the manual in the redesigned 4-doors though, only the 2-doors. The 2-doors are also in their final year, so beginning with the '04 model year you won't have the choice of a manual unless Ford changes things again.

At easter I got 21.5mph going from Fredrick MD to Columbus OH (350miles). Reversing, same gas stations, mph I got almost 23mpg.

At Christmas, I could not even go that same distance due to winter gas, leaking intake o-rings and a bad O2 Sensor.

This is with a 97 SOHC 4wd 4 door XLT w/235/75 meats and 3.73R&P w/102,000 miles

Back