97 AWD Transfer Case Fluid | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 AWD Transfer Case Fluid

That points to a generic standard for Mercon/Dextron III. It doesn't say nothing about XL-12.
But this does:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/product.asp?product=Transfer%20Case%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid
Do not use in AWD vehicles equipped with a transaxle
That's what I just said above. Is unclear to me and certainly doesn't say that XL-12 is same with the old Mercon...

More, looking on this chart, note [6] (note on page 2):
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/quickref/axlelube.pdf

It tells me that XL-12 is suitable for Explorer front axle in 2006 or newer Explorers:
Explorer_XL12.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That points to a generic standard for Mercon/Dextron III. It doesn't say nothing about XL-12.
But this does:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/product.asp?product=Transfer%20Case%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid
Do not use in AWD vehicles equipped with a transaxle
That's what I just said above. Is unclear to me and certainly doesn't say that XL-12 is same with the old Mercon...

A transaxle is a transmission/differential in one.

"For use in transfer cases where MERCON® ATF was previously recommended"

There's no way that Mercon V "eats brass and copper". That would mean using Mercon V in a manual transmission (which Ford recommends for the M5R1) would destroy the brass synchros.

Just put Mercon V in there and call it a day. Mercon V is a tighter spec version of regular Mercon. Ford says Mercon V can replace Mercon in all applications. Good enough for me. Again, in the BW4404, its just a light lubricating oil. You could probably use 0w-20 motor oil and have no issues.

There's no way that Mercon V "eats brass and copper". That would mean using Mercon V in a manual transmission (which Ford recommends for the M5R1) would destroy the brass synchros.

Just put Mercon V in there and call it a day. Mercon V is a tighter spec version of regular Mercon. Ford says Mercon V can replace Mercon in all applications. Good enough for me. Again, in the BW4404, its just a light lubricating oil. You could probably use 0w-20 motor oil and have no issues.

I can't say for sure that it eats brass and copper just something I read.But look at the old non world class t5 they use gear oil because of the brass inside them.And the newer m5od-r1 have carbon fiber synchros vs the older ones that have brass synchros.People have said they shift like crap with Mercon V.

Well there has to be a reason why Ford came out with with "transfer case fluid". And the newer Mercon V bottles say do not use in TC. So no Mercon V doesn't replace Mercon in all applications.They even changed the owners manual from mercon v to xl-12

Mercon V replaces Mercon in automatic transmissions and power steering is what the bottle should say.

Also when I went to Ford and asked about having Mercon V in there the parts guy asked a tech.He said to get it out of there and put the transfer case fluid in.

If I have time later I'll go to Ford and see if the specification of ESP-M2C166-H that is "transfer case fluid" is the same from the old Mercon.

There aren't any syncros inside the BW4404. Actually I doubt there is any copper or brass.
Is just a big differential, with chain to one shaft and a sealed VC in the middle of everything.
Is not so different than what's inside a FWD auto differential group.

I can't say for sure that it eats brass and copper just something I read.But look at the old non world class t5 they use gear oil because of the brass inside them.And the newer m5od-r1 have carbon fiber synchros vs the older ones that have brass synchros.People have said they shift like crap with Mercon V.

I've tried both Mercon and Mercon V in my M5R1 and they both shift the same, more or less.

The only stuff that I know of that "eat brass" are the sulfur compounds in GL5 gear oils.

Well there has to be a reason why Ford came out with with "transfer case fluid". And the newer Mercon V bottles say do not use in TC. So no Mercon V doesn't replace Mercon in all applications.They even changed the owners manual from mercon v to xl-12

Mercon V replaces Mercon in automatic transmissions and power steering is what the bottle should say.

You may be right for an "actual" transfer case with clutch packs that actually care about friction modifiers. The BW4404 has no clutch packs, just gears, a chain, and bearings. None of these things care about friction modifiers, they just need some oil.

Sonic: There are some copper washers inside the BW4404 but I think that's it.

From looking at the owners manuals 07 4WD(was there no AWD?)it says Mercon.In 08 it say's 4WD/AWD XL-12. I'd like to know for sure if in fact it's just Mercon relabeled so people don't use it in there transmissions.

So either way both 4WD and AWD call for Mercon and as of 08 it say's XL-12.

Probably the 4x4 with their friction clutches, electrically activated are indeed more sensitive to Mercon versus Mercon V...

I would look into their datsheets, but I don't have the old Mercon, just what is "compatible: today:

Castrol Mercon/DextronIII
Vascosity: 32 @40°C cSt ASTM D445; 7.2 @ 100°C cSt ASTM D445

Castrol Mercon V
Vascosity: 35 @40°C cSt ASTM D445; 7.4 @ 100°C cSt ASTM D445

Ford XL-12
Vascosity: 32.5 @40°C cSt ASTM D445

I just changed it and it was draining almost like light syrup when it was almost done.Mercon V appears to be slightly thicker then the original fluid.I assume it was Mercon in there and hasn't been changed before.The XL-12 is also thinner like the oem fluid.Plus there was an awful smell and I don't recall any noticeable smell before.

When I first changed it the first thing I noticed was it didn't slow down as much after letting off the gas.Even going downhill and off the gas it would slow down.After changing it,now it gains speed going downhill.

I doubt that's the reason it "gains speed while going downhill", that would be some serious drag from different viscosity.

I doubt that's the reason it "gains speed while going downhill", that would be some serious drag from different viscosity.

Before it was changed I could feel it slow down when I let off the gas.I just drove it and it's rolls,coasts even better then the Mercon V and now I have to use the brakes more.

Before when going downhill it would either slow down or hold it's speed.There is a noticeable difference.

I would listen to this man. NO MERCON V in your Xfer case:

Could be a very big issue with the AWD systems that have viscous couplings and depend on friction to transfer force. The friction modifiers could come into play and cause excessive heat.

F7gKtqkuhmU

Could be a very big issue with the AWD systems that have viscous couplings and depend on friction to transfer force. The friction modifiers could come into play and cause excessive heat.

I believe heat was the cause of the exploding transfer cases after being serviced with Mercon V

The MercV was in mine for only about a month and it smelled nasty while it was draining today.

And the XL-12 transfer case fluid does smell like trans fluid.

MerconV smells nasty because of the additive. BTW, the viscosity difference is minimal, as you could see above in my post - 32 versus 35 cSt.
ICould be a very big issue with the AWD systems that have viscous couplings and depend on friction to transfer force. The friction modifiers could come into play and cause excessive heat.
The VC is completely sealed, it doesn't take any Mercon in it!!! It's loaded with some silicon-based fluid.

a20792913ed1c06e877f8a_m__15123.1407438271.220.290.JPG

MerconV smells nasty because of the additive. BTW, the viscosity difference is minimal, as you could see above in my post - 32 versus 35 cSt.

The VC is completely sealed, it doesn't take any Mercon in it!!! It's loaded with some silicon-based fluid.

a20792913ed1c06e877f8a_m__15123.1407438271.220.290.JPG

Well there's something in the MercV causing issues.And it's not like it's hard to change.It took about half an hour but I also don't have the weight in the way,but still.The fluid was only $20.

One tip when changing the fluid is just take three bolts out and leave one bolt loose(passenger side)for the metal guard and just swing it out of the way.Has to be a lot easier then having to hold the hole thing up.Plus the nuts aren't held in place so you have to line them up and hold them till the bolt is started.Also a good time to check the ground straps.Both of mine crumbled apart.

That's the link I posted in #17 of this thread. Don't know if this guys is an authority but he seems to know as much as anybody.

F7gKtqkuhmU

Again...the BW4404 using the fluid as a lubricating oil ONLY, not as a means to transfer power through viscosity.

As Sonic already said, the VC in the BW4404 is sealed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the link I posted in #17 of this thread. Don't know if this guys is an authority but he seems to know as much as anybody.

Sorry, didn't see that.

He is a Ford Tech for 10 years. If he isn't an authority who is?

Back