'97 AWD transfer case makes a banging noise. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 AWD transfer case makes a banging noise.

thebings

Reaction score
I have a '97 AWD explorer that has developed a loud banging noise coming from the front drive shaft or the transfer case. I removed the front shaft and the noise stopped (car is on lifts) however the shaft seems to be ok. The rubber boot is good and when I flex/rotate the joint, I don't feel any binding. Should I go ahead and replace the shaft or do you think the noise was coming from the transfer case. Like others have pointed out, the t-case is still turning even without the shaft attached, but it does not have any load on it. Appreciate any advise and help. Thanks
Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front driveshaft definitely

A web site that sells the drive shaft says it is important to check the transfer case before installing a new shaft because a bad transfer case will destroy the new shaft. How would I check the transfer case?
Don

does it happen only on acceleration? I had the same problem that happened only under acceleration and when I removed the shaft, it looked good, I replaced it and it ultimately ended up being the transfer case. I replaced the transfer case with a used one and I was good to go. I suspected the chain inside the AWD case was stretched out or something. How many miles on your vehicle?

Thanks for the reply Lil Bo Peep. No mine makes the banging during steady speed, slowing down, or accelerating. It will be really bad and then stop for a mile or two then start again. Turning into a drive way seems to make it worse. I have found a company that makes a repair kit for the CV, Rock Auto sells it for $102. I think I will install this kit and see what happens. Here is a link to the kit.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2425736
Don

Hmm. Yours is a 5.0 or a 4.0? Rebuilding the front drive shaft won't hurt either way. I'd check out the rear drive shaft too. Can you "feel" the banging sound under your feet when it happens? Around the location of the transfer case area? That kit you posted should be fine. Mine was a '96 5.0 and it had a different front drive shaft. It was a double cardan joint and not a cv on the front drive shaft.

It is the 5.0 liter. The AWD with the CV joint was the only option with the V-8 in '97. With the vehicle on blocks and underneath, it sounded like and felt like it was coming from the front drive shaft. Using a stethscope, it was not over pronounced at the transfer case or the front differential. Yes I plan to change the universal joints on the front and rear axle. Thanks for your reply.

Hope its the driveshaft, but I had the same issues with banging while accelerating, regardless of speed. My turned out to be the transfer case.

I took the CV joint apart today and found a cracked inner race and one ball with rough nicks. Still waiting for my CV repair kit, I will post again when I get it installed but will be next week sometime. Thanks for all your input.
Don

Installed new CV joint today and happy to say it fixed the problem. The CV kit was good quality and easy to install.

i have a question. What is the brown wire mod for the control tract?

This was the CV joint on the aft end of the front drive shaft. The fwd end has a universal joint which I replaced. So I only replaced the one CV joint.

Thanks for the reply Lil Bo Peep. No mine makes the banging during steady speed, slowing down, or accelerating. It will be really bad and then stop for a mile or two then start again. Turning into a drive way seems to make it worse. I have found a company that makes a repair kit for the CV, Rock Auto sells it for $102. I think I will install this kit and see what happens. Here is a link to the kit.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2425736
Don

I tried to get to this link and all it does is show me a picture. Can you send me a better link that will let me see price and maybe order. Mine clunks when shifting into gear and maybe the clunking noise I hear when driving down bumpy gravel and dirt roads? Either way, its got 200,000 on it! My wheel hubs are original, could that be it also????

Tried to post a link to Rockauto where I bought mine but having trouble. Just go to rockauto.com and search for MFG name Dorman and part number 932201
Don

Thanks fellas! I just might have to order it this weekend. I got under there and grabbed the shaft by hand and gave it a good strong twist and it clanks, and clanks when shifting into gear. Also, had my reluctant wife ride with me and ask if she heard it on her side or mine and she said drivers. So, hope this is it. Then if that doesn't do it, then its the hub next!

CV rebuild anyone know how to put this together?

I have the said kit above but not sure how it goes together. Are the parts pressed together to assemble?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The domed end cover is a snug fit but not a pressed fit, it's just the gasket that holds it tight. I don't remember for sure but I think I held the bearing assemby by hand then tapped the end of the shaft (the end with the universal joint) on a piece of wood which broke loose this cover. Once the cover is removed, then you can remove the snap ring and pull off the bearing assembly. When I put the unit back into the vehicle, I tightened the bolts a little at a time to pull it back together straight. Hope this helps

Back