• Register Today It's free!

'97 "chunky" manual tranny??

schlepper65

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL
Greetings! I have a '97 XL 4DR with the 5speed manual tranny and 133,000 miles. I have noticed lately that when shifting from a stopped position in to 1st gear (or reverse), that occasionally it will be very hard to get the tranny into gear, you really have to "chunk" it in there to get the shifter in gear. This is the case no matter how much clutch you have in. The weird thing is, it doesnt do this all the time, and once you are going, the shifts up and down between all other gears are silky smooth. I would say that it is hard to get in to gear from a stop maybe 50-60pct of the time. Any ideas what this might be? Bad clutch? Bad valve? I am not a tranny man by any means, so I am at a loss here, especially since the problem is "intermittent". I do not know the history on the truck, as in if any of the transmission has been replaced before, since I have only had it for a few thousand miles. Any help is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem, would love a solution. Here is a work around for now: I put in 4th then in 1st. Makes it easier to start out, same for reverse. Very annoying for the wife ( :D she doesn't like to drive it now)
(1997 explorer sport)

Greetings! I have a '97 XL 4DR with the 5speed manual tranny and 133,000 miles. I have noticed lately that when shifting from a stopped position in to 1st gear (or reverse), that occasionally it will be very hard to get the tranny into gear, you really have to "chunk" it in there to get the shifter in gear. This is the case no matter how much clutch

I have the same problem on a 93 Ex Sport with 146,000 miles. I too shift from 2nd then into first and all other shifts are smooth. I think it has always been this way. My dad says it is an old trick to go from 2nd to 1st in older manuals. As far as reverse Gears, they are a straight cut to save on cost, becasue of this they don't always mesh right like other gears.

Welcome to the site schlepper, Im right next to ya in Farmington ;) Have any pics of your X?
Good luck with the tranny prob!

chunky tranny..

95X.. no pics of the Explorer as yet; I got it from a dealer in Hudson, WI. only a couple months ago... it was hard to find a good manual tranny Explorer that is for sure; it took some lookin' ! I have tried the suggestions given by people above, i.e. going to 4th and then to 1st, and it seems to make the shifting a bit better.. I might take it to a tranny shop too for one of those free diagnostics and see if they think it was the slave cylinder mentioned above too; if that's it it might be something not too astronomical to fix.. in the meantime, we're sittin' fine!

ever try double-clutching in neutral before putting it into 1st?

my old F-150 would sometimes be tough to shift into first so i'd double clutch and then it would go right in. (edit: even did this after new slave cylinder install)

you may want to check your fluid as well, helped a friend change his fluid on his 95 Mustang sixer with the 5-speed, said it shifted better and was easier to put into gear at a stop after we changed the fluid.

Can't say as I know for sure, but it sounds like a worn synchronizer. Draging that outa my M-22 Days

Had the same problem on both of my Explorers, It's the slave cylinder not fully disengaging. Spend 200 bucks and get a full rebuild kit. That'll get you a new pressure plate, clutch disk, throw out bearing/slave cylinder and pilot bearing.

I just had the clutch, slave and clutch master replaced at 120,000 miles on my 97 Sport. It was shifting real hard, the clutch pedal was very hard and engaging real late (the clutch was totally shot). Well $1100 later the pedal is great but it still shifts just as hard...come to find out the trans needs to be rebuilt because the synchros should be replaced...so be wary if you are planning to do your clutch (or slave) as a solution to hard shifting:(

Most likely the slave.....double or 3,4,5,6,7upaling the clutch is a good temporary way to get into gear though from a stop.

Update on the tough-shifting tranny issue! Over time things got worse and worse, and double-clutching and shifting slowly and trying a shift to 4th before going to first didnt work any more, and it was nearly impossible to get the thing in gear, so I finally have to give in and bring it in to the shop. Had the slave cylinder replaced, and while they were in there, they put in a new clutch kit and re-worked the flywheel. A grand later, she now shifts like glass. I am broke, but at least the truck drives nice now!

Thats good to hear, too bad you had to spend an arm and leg but at least its fixed. I know how that is sometimes.

Back