97 explorer 5.0 electrical problem, any help appreciated | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer 5.0 electrical problem, any help appreciated

StephenM97

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Land, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer limited
Hello, i have a 1997 ford explorer 5.0 limited RWD. I am going to give as many details as possible to answer any possible questions asked so please bear with me if the post is a little lengthy. While i was driving home the battery light was flashing off, and on (it seemed like there is a possibility that the battery light would flash off, or on due to bumps/braking/turning but could also be a coincidence). The voltage meter was pretty low also.
I turned off all the eletrics in the car except for the headlights. Before i did that i didn't notice any lights dimming, or any problems with the radio. Right when i pulled up to my house (the second i pulled up to the curb before i could even fully stop) it died on me. It wont start anymore, but the inside light still turned on when i opened the door.
Also i noticed at one point the car idled at 500rpm, when it normally idles at 750rpm, but it did eventually go back to 750.
Does anyone have any idea on where to start on diagnosing the problem? If any more details are needed please ask, and any help is very much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a charging issue. Most likely your alternator is bad, followed by a failed battery. You can test by charging the battery and seeing if it holds its voltage well above 12 (12.3-12.6). You can also start it and verify voltage is above 14 to test the alternator.

I agree it sounds like your alternator quit charging. You made it home on the juice left in the battery.
The battery light on the dash comes on when the alternator quits charging.
First thing to do is check the ALT or GENERATOR fuse, there is a small fuse in the power circuit for the alternator voltage regulator, if that fuse blows your alternator will quit charging.
Next you will need to jump start the vehicle so you can test the battery and alternator voltages or remove the alternator and take it in for testing.
If you have a voltage meter you can test the alternator yourself?

Not a bad idea to look at your battery wires and terminals, if the terminals are corroded, dirty, or loose it can also cause voltage issues.
If the alternator does turn out to be bad I highly suggest getting a NEW one not a re manufactured.

You have a charging issue. Most likely your alternator is bad, followed by a failed battery. You can test by charging the battery and seeing if it holds its voltage well above 12 (12.3-12.6). You can also start it and verify voltage is above 14 to test the alternator.

I agree it sounds like your alternator quit charging. You made it home on the juice left in the battery.
The battery light on the dash comes on when the alternator quits charging.
First thing to do is check the ALT or GENERATOR fuse, there is a small fuse in the power circuit for the alternator voltage regulator, if that fuse blows your alternator will quit charging.
Next you will need to jump start the vehicle so you can test the battery and alternator voltages or remove the alternator and take it in for testing.
If you have a voltage meter you can test the alternator yourself?

Not a bad idea to look at your battery wires and terminals, if the terminals are corroded, dirty, or loose it can also cause voltage issues.
If the alternator does turn out to be bad I highly suggest getting a NEW one not a re manufactured.

Thank you guys! I really appreciate the help! Hopefully its not too expensive of a fix

An alternator isn’t that expensive, and can be replaced in a driveway with very basic hand tools. Very easy job.

An alternator isn’t that expensive, and can be replaced in a driveway with very basic hand tools. Very easy job.
Yeah i know its an easy job, but i have a 2008 350z sitting in my garage with the entire front end minus the engine disassembled so thats causing money to be tight right now haha, 98 cents in the bank account. Thats why i bought the explorer for $1000. I love it, runs great, just has had lots of smaller problems like this. #BrokeCollegeKid

If you have a junkyard close and have the time check there first. Pretty sure I found a brand new alternator the other day it was motorcraft too, I think people slap alternators and starters in sometimes right before junking thinking it will fix whatever killed the car... 36 bucks works for me.

IMG_20190326_192103.jpg

Back