97 Explorer EGR Excessive Flow Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer EGR Excessive Flow Question

Congrats Mike! I been reading plus following this thread and it sounds just like the same problem with my wife's 97 Mountaineer, which has the early 96 V8. I'm just curious as to how much the EGR valve was. I'm also in Ct. and will soon need to pass the emissions test. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it all depends on when you want the part. If you dig around online, and are willing to wait on shipping; you can find it a little cheeper than I paid. I compared Auto Zone, NAPA, and Advance. Auto Zone was the cheapest at 129 dollars. I wish it was cheaper, but that's what it ran me.

Hopefully I won't need a new EGR valve but just figuring the worst case scenario for emission parts. I'm sure the pleasure of knowing what you accomplished is worth every penny. Just imagine what a garage would have charged you (Hundreds). Thanks for your help and educating me on the EGR system. It really has helped me big time!

To be honest it's usually not the egr thats the problem...

I had the same codes, with the same engine when I got my Explorer.

There's a sensor that mounts to the top of the egr valve with three little bolts. There's a rubber gasket that goes between the sensor and the egr valve. First, make sure the gasket is still there. Mine wasn't. It seems a few years back there was a rumor floating that if you removed that gasket you would have better performance. Second, if it is there, make sure that it's not leaking.

If it isn't, my first step If I were you, and you're sure the EGR is ok, would be to replace that sensor. It's a thirty dollar part.

Did you put vacuum to the EGR while the engine was idling to see if it stumbled?

Back