• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer Idling at 2500 RPM

musician235

Reaction score
City, State
Bethel, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I can't solve the high idle issue and am wondering if there are any other things I'm missing.

I've checked for vacuum leaks, replaced the TPS, IAC, Coolant Temp Sensor, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, cleaned the MAF Sensor.

The IAC wires are getting correct voltage, but there is no change in idle with or without the IAC connected.

With the Maf Sensor disconnected the car idles under 1000 but there is no throttle response.

The throttle cable is not stuck and I turned the screw on the arm all the way out to lower as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V6 OHV Stock

The engine is a V6 OHV without modifications.

I am most perplexed that the idle air control has no effect when plugged or unplugged... it just keeps going at 2500 - 2900... There is a small decrease after the first 10 or 15 seconds.. but only by about 100 rpm at most.

have you tried cleaning the throttle body/plate?

You must have a large intake air leak...? Maybe, IDK, check everywhere for cracked hoses.

What happens when you put it in drive? Or neutral? Or when the engine warms up?

I had this issue on my sohc just cleaned the heck out of everything and still had the problem then it got really hot to almost the end of the engine hot. Had to replace the t-stat wouldn't think it was related but it idles right at 750 to 800 now, with no other repairs.

+1 have you tried cleaning the throttle body/plate?

This vague, sorry: There's a mechanism that increases the idle speed when the AC is on, maybe that has malfunctioned somehow.

Could the MAF sensor simply be bad? Wouldn't help to clean it if defective. I just had a high idle condition on my 4.0 Aerostar,and that's why I searched this thread out. Hope you and me both fix the problem! don-ohio :)^)
I can't solve the high idle issue and am wondering if there are any other things I'm missing.

I've checked for vacuum leaks, replaced the TPS, IAC, Coolant Temp Sensor, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, cleaned the MAF Sensor.

The IAC wires are getting correct voltage, but there is no change in idle with or without the IAC connected.

With the Maf Sensor disconnected the car idles under 1000 but there is no throttle response.

The throttle cable is not stuck and I turned the screw on the arm all the way out to lower as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Yes,David! I had that happen when I overheated a few weeks ago. The engine speeds up to pump more water for better cooling efficiency. don-ohio :)^)
I had this issue on my sohc just cleaned the heck out of everything and still had the problem then it got really hot to almost the end of the engine hot. Had to replace the t-stat wouldn't think it was related but it idles right at 750 to 800 now, with no other repairs.

I brought in to a shop and was advised to pulled off the intake manifold and replaced the two identical gaskets (one above and one below the fuel rail) but still am experiencing the same high idle condition after replacement ... I'm trying to figure out how to reinstall the tube is with the green o-ring that goes to ?egr valve?

Can you go ahead and replace the MAF sensor? Just cleaning it won't help if it isn't working.
Before you replace it, you might make sure of good contact at your MAF connection.Carefully use conductive grease to enhance the contact,but don't smear it at all,be exact for each wire socket.
don-ohio :)^)
I brought in to a shop and was advised to pulled off the intake manifold and replaced the two identical gaskets (one above and one below the fuel rail) but still am experiencing the same high idle condition after replacement ... I'm trying to figure out how to reinstall the tube is with the green o-ring that goes to ?egr valve?

Back