97 explorer, leaking after coolant system repair. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer, leaking after coolant system repair.

bplate1943

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer LTD
Hi: I am new here and have 97 Explorer SOC, V6. Have always had the Ford maintained and running great. Recently after a 55 mile trip, when parking vehicle in driveway, suddenly steam arising big time under hood. When it cooled I filled radiator and let it run for about 40 minutes, no leak, no overheating, no leakage to my eye. Called the garage and took it in for diagnosis, repair sheet said they replaced upper hose that goes from thermostat housing to upper radiator....Charges, 125.78.. Drove home, huge puddle under car near motor.. Took it back, repair sheet ''found another bypass hose swollen and a slight seepage from the back of the intake manifold. Replaced hose, added a stop leek that seems to have stopped the leak at this time. Replaced fan clutch.'' Charge, 178.23. Brought my car home, no visible leaks anywhere, checked it for about 8 hours. Woke this morning to a huge oily yellow liquid under and around front of motor, extending out the side between the driver front door and front tire. The puddle is large enough that it has run to the side of my garage, which is about 5 feet. It does not smell like coolant, is slippery oily clear yellow mess. Does anyone know what has happened. Losing faith in the garage big time. Could they have accidentally knocked something loose? Power steering hose?

Why in the world did the shop just casually use a stop leak product?

Is that something you ok'd them doing or they just decided that was the best repair?

Back