Beargap

Reaction score
City, State
Bear Gap, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 XLT
Callsign
WA4THR
Our '97 SOHC 4.0 with 297K miles has started missing irregularly. It starts easily enough, but never settles down to smooth running. Had the CEL come on in below-zero weather code, so I read and it was Lean bank one and two. We sprayed cleaner into the MAF port and cleared the code by disconnecting the battery. It continued to miss, although maybe slightly better, but in single digit weather a few days later the CEL came on flashing, then settled down to steady on.

I believe the truck is pretty overdue for new plugs, so we're looking at that, but what does the flashing CEL mean at the beginning? How do you get the MAF out of the plastic housing so we can clean or replace it? Anything else we should be looking at?

I believe the truck is pretty overdue for new plugs, so we're looking at that, but what does the flashing CEL mean at the beginning? How do you get the MAF out of the plastic housing so we can clean or replace it? Anything else we should be looking at?

A flashing CEL is the computer telling you there's a serious problem that has to be addressed right away (missing badly = tons of unburned gas dumped into the system = engine/exhaust system damage if not corrected immediately).

To get the MAF out of the plastic housing, you need to get a torx security bolt screwdriver set (a torx bit with a hole in it) from any hardware store. They also put a glob of resin over the torx head, so you'll have to use a small screwdriver, awl, or pick to extract that. Then just remove the two screws and pop the MAF out.

A flashing CEL is the computer telling you there's a serious problem that has to be addressed right away (missing badly = tons of unburned gas dumped into the system = engine/exhaust system damage if not corrected immediately).

To get the MAF out of the plastic housing, you need to get a torx security bolt screwdriver set (a torx bit with a hole in it) from any hardware store. They also put a glob of resin over the torx head, so you'll have to use a small screwdriver, awl, or pick to extract that. Then just remove the two screws and pop the MAF out.

Thanks. When I looked at the MAF before, I could pop off the plastic screen front of the big plastic tube the MAF sits it, but the MAF was connected by wires to the rubber plug on the outside of the housing...not the electrical connector further on, but a plug to stop air from coming in, I guess. Since it seems to fit from the outside, how do I get the MAF away from there?

Thanks. When I looked at the MAF before, I could pop off the plastic screen front of the big plastic tube the MAF sits it, but the MAF was connected by wires to the rubber plug on the outside of the housing...not the electrical connector further on, but a plug to stop air from coming in, I guess. Since it seems to fit from the outside, how do I get the MAF away from there?

I'm not sure what you mean, but here's a thread w/ pictures showing the complete procedure. I have an OHV, but I think it's the same on the SOHC.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350613

Back