'97 Explorer Problem

UdoM

Reaction score
City, State
Durban/South Africa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hi there,

I'm Udo from South Africa. I bought a '97 XLT 5 years ago and faced a lot of problems. Not because the Explorer isn't a good car, but it was abused by the first owner. It took me a while to find out, that this car was build in SA for export to Australia. Now this truck is at the garage for 8 weeks and they can't find out what the problem is.
One morning I drove the car out of my drive way and there was a funny noise, coming from the left front wheel (as if it was not engaging from 4 wheel drive)
and the lights on my dashboard (4 wheel ) came on as well. Now they checked the gear box and replaced a few electronic parts, but the problem is still the same. I changed the wheel bearings not even a year ago and haven't used the car off-road. I switch it to wheel at last every 2 weeks just to keep it going.
I really would appreciate some input and help here with this funny problem.

Many thanks and I'm glad that I found you.
Udo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer '97 Problem

Hi,

I'm sure it must be the transfer case and I know they changed a module, but the problem is still there. First thing on Monday morning I check for the error codes. Unfortunately here in SA the clocks are running a bit slow.
I will let you know the results on Monday.
Have a great weekend!!!:)

Udo

welcome

Hi Guys,

sorry I'm so late, but a heavy flue kept me in bed for a few days.
Funny, I drove the car yesterday for a short distance and the symptoms were the same.
This morning I drove it to the workshop and the noise was gone. When I tried to switch it into high 4x4, the light did not come on and it was not engaging.
But on normal auto drive the 4x4 lights are still flickering sometimes. We put it on the computer and it gave me the following error messages:

P1808 - should stay for low indicator
P1804 - high indicator

Is there anyone who could give me some advice what that could be?

I also had a funny experience last week with my XLT. The car was in auto when I turned in the wheel to the extreme right and hit the exelerator slowly. I had that same
noise at the left front wheel and the right back wheel was blocking for not even a second. Could that be ABS? No error codes on that one.
I really would appreciate if someone could come up with some ideas.

Many many thanks
Udo

Back