• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer SOHC tansmission pan

Goetzky99

Reaction score
City, State
Denver CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Have a '97 Explorer with a SOHC and 5R55E tanny.
Been having shifting problems and found a thread about replacing the valve body. Ordered a rebuilt Valve Body and went to drop the tranny pan but the catalytic converter is in the way! Found a few threads that suggested removing the front drive shaft but it looks like even if I do that there wont be enough space to get all the bolts out of the pan, let alone the valve body. 3 out of the 4 bolts to remove the catalytic converter look like a *****. Has anyone cut the catalytic converter pipe, and used a coupler to put it back on? Looking for ideas on how to do this, if anyone can help. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the driveshaft and you're golden. Have handy your 1/4" drive set with a universal joint and extension. Don't mess with the cat other than covering it with aluminum foil to keep it from getting soaked in ATF. Post back if you need any further information.

Maybe unbolt the tranny mount and jack up the tail end of it a little bit, my sport is a 97 and was a sohc with the 5r55e and I don't think you can get the pan off without dropping the drivers side cat , its the reason it has a flange in front of the muffler and the passenger side doesn't , not all have this style exhaust

DrDoom thanks. Do you think there will be enough room to get to all the bolts on the valve body?

Yes sir, no problem getting to the VB bolts, just have your inch/pounds torque wrench handy. And be certain the manual valve pin is engaged when you install the VB. #1 mistake of valve body swaps! Best wishes.
Doc

Last year when I tried to do a trans service right after we bought our 99 Sport w/4.0 SOHC the trans pan hits the cat conv & wil not come out. I unbolted the front driveshaft at the differential & swung it out of the way & the pane came right out. I did a search on the forum here & found that info.

Last year when I tried to do a trans service right after we bought our 99 Sport w/4.0 SOHC the trans pan hits the cat conv & wil not come out. I unbolted the front driveshaft at the differential & swung it out of the way & the pane came right out. I did a search on the forum here & found that info.

Same here on my 99 XLT, unbolted front driveshaft with a Torx socket ( can't remember size, I think T27?) and swung it out of the way, hung it with a wire. The pan will come out.

Back