'97 Explorer stuck in 4x4? indicator lights show 4x4 off | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

'97 Explorer stuck in 4x4? indicator lights show 4x4 off

F1Luva92

Reaction score
City, State
Earlysville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Sport
Ok, I cannot give you exact details without asking the owner of the vehicle, but here is the story. I'm looking at buying an Explorer at the moment. I found one for $1000 and according to the owner, it is stuck in 4x4. I asked him if the indicator light showed that it was in 4x4 and he replied saying that it does not. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I know hardly anything about four wheel drive. Is this most likely the transfer case or similar (i.e. something involved/expensive) or is it something that can be fixed by simply taking the battery cable loose for a few minutes or something else easy/inexpensive. I would greatly appreciate any help whatsoever.

TIA

kert0307

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
A quick way to narrow down the problem would be to unplug the wires going to the transfer case. If it is still in 4x4, then it is a problem with the case itself. If it is now in 2wd, it is an electrical problem.