• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer tranny question

shen

Reaction score
City, State
Jordan Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Hi guys, I am new to the site but found it very interesting. I have a 97 explorer with the 4.0 sohc engine with VIN E, tranny going out. I am trying to fix it for my son. I have someone that has a 97 4.0 OHV VIN X transmission, would these be interchangeable? both are 4x4 and would this work?? Thanks for any help.

They are the same...And updates would be a great idea...

The trannies will interchange since both engines used the 5R55E...And as a maintenance item, since you are changing them, I would consider updating the replacement with a valve body from Central Valve Bodies as well as replacing the low/reverse servo o-rings[inside the oil pan] and the 2 servos on the passenger side of the unit and installing a drain plug in the pan or a deeper pan with a drain plug...

As these units age, the gaskets and seals begin to wear out and while replacement can be done in the truck it is oh soooooo much easier to do this with the tranny out of it...

And having a drain plug makes changing the fluid and internal filter a lot less messy and time-consuming...I also have an external spin on filter and secondary tranny fluid cooler but these are add-ons that I did to keep the fluid temps under control and my tranny fed with cooler cleaner fluid...

Same Bolt Pattern?

Are the bellhousing bolt patterns the same for both V-6 engines? The OHV engine has some weird method of using shims to locate bolt-up against rear of engine/oil pan. I believe SOHC engine does not. imp

Back