97 explorer transfer case. Stupid question (?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer transfer case. Stupid question (?)

Chris Harrach

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
This may seem a stupid question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway. My transfer case has started to make the whizzing/whirring sound when I take my foot off the gas at anything over 40 mph. From what I've found out, the transfer case (A Borg Warner 4405) has gone or is about to go bad. My transmission is working just fine. All gears are working and shifting as they should. Now as I see it, it would appear to me that the transfer case is directly related to the 4x4 or 4 wheel drive. This is something that I can live without, since I live in Atlanta, GA, and there is no need for me to have this function. Now for the stupid (?) question. Can I just TOTALLY remove this troublsome transfer case and just drive with my normal transmission, or does my transmission depend on this piece of s#*! ? Im trying not to have to buy a rebuilt or used one unless I absolutly have to. Any thoughts, insights, or suggestions willbe mos welcome. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This may seem a stupid question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway. My transfer case has started to make the whizzing/whirring sound when I take my foot off the gas at anything over 40 mph. From what I've found out, the transfer case (A Borg Warner 4405) has gone or is about to go bad. My transmission is working just fine. All gears are working and shifting as they should. Now as I see it, it would appear to me that the transfer case is directly related to the 4x4 or 4 wheel drive. This is something that I can live without, since I live in Atlanta, GA, and there is no need for me to have this function. Now for the stupid (?) question. Can I just TOTALLY remove this troublsome transfer case and just drive with my normal transmission, or does my transmission depend on this piece of s#*! ? Im trying not to have to buy a rebuilt or used one unless I absolutly have to. Any thoughts, insights, or suggestions willbe mos welcome. Thanks in advance.

Your Transfer Case Is Mounted To The Rear Of Your Transmission, In Order To Remove It And Drive You Would Have To Change Your Rear Output Shaft Which Means Complete Disassemble Of Your Transmission, (I Don't Recommend This Option) As For The Sound Its Making Check Your Driveshafts For Any Wear.... Could Be A Bad Universal Joint

there is a gear internal in the transfer case that needs to be replaced it is an upgraded parts from ford. just went through this exact prob myself.

best john denver co 4405 t-case

Thanks for the info John. I replaced the T-Case with a used one, and re-used the shift motor from my old T-case. So far so good. I havent had any problems from it, but I still have the old one in my storage unit, on the chance that I'll get it rebuilt ( or do it myself ) sometime in the future. I didn't put the front drive shaft back in, so it's really no longer a 4 wheel drive.

Cheers.

Chris:thumbsup:

there is a gear internal in the transfer case that needs to be replaced it is an upgraded parts from ford. just went through this exact prob myself.

Do you have any more info about this part?

By the way John, would you know who makes a good, complete rebuild kit (Gears, seals, gaskets, etc. etc.) for the BW-4405? Im probable going to rebuild my old one as soon as summer gets here. Appreciate any info you might have.

CHeers & Merry Christmas!:thumbsup:
Chris Harrach

BW-4405 hub gear

to all its is the range shift hub buy it from FORD as the part is upgraded. Also buy the fork if they have one in stock.. an to all in denver DO NOT use
ALLSTAR AUTOMOTIVE in denver :thumbdwn: they rebuilt my auto trans drove the exp. 100 feet n they completely missed this common problem. they then threw me out of the shop "its nothing we did" whole ordeal cost me $3,000 and 2 days in court. dont use bpparts on ebay same dirt bags all junk yard stuff cant believe this guy is in business and even alive after some of the stories other customers have told me brad pule the worst:(

Damn John! Sorry to hear you had such a hard time with your rebuild. Hope in the end everything worked out. Thanks for the "Heads Up" on the Ebay creep as well. His name is definately on my watch list. Ive been lucky so far and not had a problem with an "Ebayer". (of course there's always a first time):(
Any way thanks for sharing your information. It will be put to good use. Have a safe & Merry Christmas!

Chris Harrach:thumbsup:

For shift forks, get the upgraded one from omegamachine.com.

Hello,
Does anyone in here happen to know, if a 97 transfer case also would fit into a 99-model car? (Explorer 4,0 Sport 4x4 aut.) Or is every year with a different transfer case? Appreciate any guesses, thanks...

Henrik, physically I think it will fit, difference being a 97 will have the VSS in the rear half, and IIRC that was deleted in 98. So there are some differences...possibly you could fill the hole in the case with the VSS, and of course it would not be plugged in, and you may have to reconfigure the harness cnnector, but I can't say for sure. Alternatively, you could use the rear case half from the 99 on the 97 case.

Thanks drdoom! For your comments and advise. My mecanic skill are almost zero, but I get the idea. From what I can read is that some work will need to be done, and it will be more painless to actually find a 99 transfer case..

Go for the 99.

Back