• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer wont crank

jeffs_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Fieldale, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a 97 Explorer that will not crank. It turns over, but will not crank. I have changed the battery, the fuel filter, the throttle position sensor, and put a new power pack on it. I need any advice I can get.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a small note of "terminology correctness". "Cranking" means the activity of having the starter engage and cause the engine to "turn over". "No cranking" usually means "quiet" as in nothing happening outside of maybe "clicking" of relays. SO.... if I understand correctly, your engine is "turning" but not "firing" (ie. action of explosions in the each cylinder) for some reason. You need to determine IF your fuel pump is running by either listening for some "noise" of the pump action just after turning the key on AND / OR checking for fuel pressure in the fuel rail. If you got fuel, then you need to determine if you got spark by checking a spark plug.

Could be the fuel pump called it quits.

Spray a little starting fluid in to the intake duct. If it fires then stops it's a fuel problem.

How do you check the fuel pressure in the fuel rail?

What is being considered a "power pack"?

I guess just because it's under what's new it isn't always new haha

Check the Inertia switch. Its located at the passenger side kick panel (inside car). The red button top should be even with the top of the holder top ( fuel pump on). When it off ( disengaged), the red button is above

Back