97 Explorer XLT electrical issue after accident | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer XLT electrical issue after accident

johnc6955

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
My Explorer was hit by a truck while parked in the rear driver side. The bumper was damaged bad as well as some damage to the rear quarterpanel. I chased the guy and caught him (hit and run). While the police did the report, the Explorer died. I was able to restart but realized the next day that the battery was dead, the warning light came on and the alternator was not charging. His insurance company says the electrical issues are unrelated to the accident. However, I never had ANY issues starting now it is totally dead.

I know now that I need a new battery (I bought one) and a new alternator. However, I think the real problem stems from a short due to the accident. I have about a .45 amp draw on the battery. When I let it sit for 1 hour plus, it actually increases to about .75 amps. I pulled every fuse and was able to narrow it to fuse 25 on the interior panel (for the GEM system). I pulled the radio and then the GEM. When I pull the top connector, the draw stops completely, is this because power to the GEM is supplied by this connector? I pulled the other 3 connectors and the draw remained. I do not have a complete wiring diagram for the GEM and I don't know exactly how to narrow it down to the GEM or a component connected to it. I just don't want to get a new battery, new alternator and body damage repairs and still have a short. Should I backprobe all the wires for that first connector to find the short. From what I've read, .45-.75 amp is way too much of a draw with nothing on and all the sensors, etc. shut down. Any ideas where to go from here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking that the damage to the right (drivers side) rear may have damaged one of the relays that reside above the rear wheelwell behind the plastic interior trim piece. I'm attaching a diagram to show the location of the relay box (Aux Relay Box #4).

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 66,077

Thanks, I'll try it out. I checked today after the Explorer sitting all night and it was still drawing .75 amp. Funny thing is that when I start it and shut if off quickly (I leave the negative cable off overnight), the car still draws .75 amps. I thought the GEM would draw more until all sensors shut down. It does draw more if I open a door, etc. Does anyone have a diagram/pin location drawing? This would also help me narrow the component causing the problem since it seems to be from C280. In the meantime, I'll test the relays and see if I find a problem. Thanks for the help.

Here is the pin out for C280.

Edit: Oops, there are two. I think you probably need the GEM not the CTM.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 12,408
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 15,106

The keyless entry module is in that vicinity too.

One thing I would definitely do...I would take a very close look at the fuel tank, fuel lines, and electrical harness to the tank. Make darn good and sure nothing is damaged from the accident. That is right where you were hit.

Tell his insurance company to bite the big one. They are trying to scare you off. They don't have the final say in this...especially where it's his fault. You are entitled to a rental (on their nickel) while your car is out of order being repaired. If they give you crap, contact your own insurance company and they will go after what you are due. They will take care of you, then recoup their expenses from his company...including defending their position in court if necessary. That's why you pay for insurance. But I will say this...you need to be sure your electrical problem is from the accident. Could be pretty embarrassing (and expensive) if they find a stereo with a draw for example. Of course, any good shop will tie it to the accident if at all possible. They will err on the side of the customer in most cases.

well, continuous draws can be tough to track down ESPECIALLY involving a GEM "thing". I think that you can save yourself a lot of time by removing "all relays" from your vehicle... then measure your draw... hopefully it is reduced and then begin replacing them and monitoring the results along the way. By "all", I mean the one in aux box 4 (rear cargo), aux box 2 (front passenger side) and relay module (dash). I suspect one of those is staying energized for whatever reason and hence the drain.

If you have a trailer light harness in the system it could be "pinched" and causing a draw.

If you have a trailer light harness in the system it could be "pinched" and causing a draw.

That sounds very plausible to me after an accident.

Still can't find the short

Hello,

Thanks to all for the help so far. I have replaced the alternator and the battery since they both were bad (my guess is the short probably drained an already old battery and my old alternator went trying to charge a near dead battery). I still have the short and it seems to have increased over time from .45 amps to .90 amps. This is even after it sits overnight to allow the sensors to "shut off". I took out the relays to aux 4 which includes door lock/unlock relays, interior lamp relays and the tow park lamp relay. I also took out the relays in the box behind the battery and in the front under the alternator, no dice. Also, since unpluging C280 from the GEM elimates the draw, I tried the components from the drawing in this thread and they all seem to work. I open all doors and get the "door ajar" and the int. light. Also, wipers seem fine, seat belt warning, etc. Maybe the GEM itself, a groung wire on pins 14 or 26? Question is, what is the best way to test? Where are the other Aux. Relay boxes? Or can I just test the GEM in place by backprobing or "pulling" one wire at a time from the C280 connector until the draw is gone? Sorry about all the questions. I actually have enjoyed a bit of the detective work and put in my first alternator without a hitch, but now I need to find the short. Thanks in advance.

If you can remove one wire from C280 at a time, that seems like a good way to find the draw.

Also, you could look for continuity between all the pins on C280 and ground on the harness side. If that is ok, then do the same for the GEM side.

Back