• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer xlt front rattle

fishnbas2

Reaction score
City, State
virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I have a 97 explorer xlt and im experiencing some rattle in the front end on bumpy roads. I suspect a bushing problem but dont know for sure. Some rattle in the rear also on under same conditions but not as bad as the front rattle. Any help would be appreciated. Want to know what to check and how to check it and where i can get parts. Thanks for your time. :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the basic things like loose lugnuts. If that is fine lets test the balljoints. Jack the front end up and grab the tire and the 6 & 12 position and try to push the tire away and towards you. If you have some play in there then its the balljoint. Also check the tie rod ends for play. Don't forget to check whether your tires are out of balance.

rattle

You might want to look at the shock mounts to make sure they are still in tack. In extreme case you might want to consider your torsion bars have worn out the teflon shims that keep them quiet. This site has an excellent torsion bar post that fully explains in detils with pics.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47345

it is a sticky in this section

Blee1099 said:
Jack the front end up and grab the tire and the 6 & 12 position and try to push the tire away and towards you. If you have some play in there then its the balljoint.

IMHO, that method isn't too useful. I tried it myself, and got no play. But as somebody else on this site told me, jack the a-arm up so the tire is only a couple inches off the ground, get a breaker bar or somethin, place under the tire, and pry upward. You'll be able to see any upward movement in the balljoint, which there shouldn't be any.

pretty much jack up the car, shack the tire around from the 6 and 12 position and the 3 and 9 position to see if there is any movement in either the tie rod ends or the lower and upper balljoints, if it isnt that then consider an alignment or a wheel balancing...

Back