• Register Today It's free!

'97 Fog Lights

riverrescue01

Reaction score
City, State
Granite City, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4WD Explorer
How do you remove the fog light on the '97 Explorers? How do you remove the whole bracket from the vehicle? Is there a way of removing the foglight from the bracket while its still on the vehicle, if so how? Also does the lower valance have to come off in order to do any work on the foglights, or can I leave it on the vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you trying to change the bulb or removed the entire fog light? the fog light lense is attached to the bracket, the bracket is bolted to the bumper with 2 10mm head bolts. use lots of penetrating oil as the bolts are usually always rusty and seized to the speed nut clips. the lower valance does not need to be removed.

Thanks for the info. One of my fog lights is actually missing, but the bracket is still there. Is there a way of removing the fog lights from the bracket, without taking the bracket off? That way I can just replace the fog light itself & not the entire bracket.

A few days ago I noticed one of my foglights was not lined up in the cutout on the lower valance. Today I took a casual look at it and it is not attached by the bracket, it is just loose inside the housing but still pointing out through the cutout in the lower valance. Both lights work fine and the other one is securely attached in the housing. The front of the lense on the loose one is cracked and I suspect it may have been hit by a rock or other projectile that may have broken it from the bracket (winter takes it toll:(). The lights are rectangular - I have seen round ones on Limiteds and EB's. They also appear to be sealed beam units. Is this correct? I am also considering changing them over to an aftermarket light. Any recommendations or considerations?

they are a composite light with a removeable bulb, not a sealed beam. you could very easily repace them with an aftermarket set of lights, the factory bracket being a very sturdy place to mount the aftermarket lights. keep in mind though, the factory wiring isnt a very thick guage and is only meant to light the stock 35-45 watt bulb. to increase brightness you could wire them with a relay, using one of the power wires from the factory wiring to switch the relay on, thus retaining your factory switch in the dash.

they are a composite light with a removeable bulb, not a sealed beam. you could very easily repace them with an aftermarket set of lights, the factory bracket being a very sturdy place to mount the aftermarket lights. keep in mind though, the factory wiring isnt a very thick guage and is only meant to light the stock 35-45 watt bulb. to increase brightness you could wire them with a relay, using one of the power wires from the factory wiring to switch the relay on, thus retaining your factory switch in the dash.

Thanks. Tomorrow I am going to crawl in there and check it all out. :salute:

Thanks for the info. One of my fog lights is actually missing, but the bracket is still there. Is there a way of removing the fog lights from the bracket, without taking the bracket off? That way I can just replace the fog light itself & not the entire bracket.

I have tried, but no luck. You need to remove the bracket to install the light housing.

Back