97 ford explore limited battery drain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 ford explore limited battery drain

Travleslie81

Reaction score
City, State
Crawfordsville indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explore limited
I did a Parasitic draw test and pulled fuses and it came back good but there's still something draining my battery and I checked all the grounds and they are good and I don't understand what is draining battery after two days sitting!! Any ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turdle is correct. However, a bad diode/rectifier within your alternator will cause a parasitic drain on your battery, also...and, it won't show up by pulling fuses.

All good suggestions. If a battery charger is available, disconnect the battery, charge it up, leave disconnected a few days, then check it's voltage. If it loses charge disconnected, pitch it. imp

Turdle is correct. However, a bad diode/rectifier within your alternator will cause a parasitic drain on your battery, also...and, it won't show up by pulling fuses.
It's a new battery and new alternater sorry I forgot to mention that

You might need a new battery. If it is even close to 5 years old, get it outta there.
When I start the car the up the voltage gauge on my dash stays below half way and when I'm driving down the highway it goes up halfway and I have checked the voltage on battery not even hooked up and stays a little over 12v and I put the wires back post the voltage goes down slow!

You might need a new battery. If it is even close to 5 years old, get it outta there.
When I start the car the up the voltage gauge on my dash stays below half way and when I'm driving down the highway it goes up halfway and I have checked the voltage on battery not even hooked up and stays a little over 12v and I put the wires back post the voltage goes down slow!

Ok, thanks for posting that.

The above suggestion about the alternator has merit. Disconnect the power lead and harness plug from the alternator, see if the voltage remains stable when you reconnect the battery.

On my '97, there was something pulling power through the charging circuit. When I pulled fuses to see what stopped the drain, it was the 15 amp mini fuse (Number 6) in the Power Distribution Box under the hood, drivers side. Tested battery - good, but vendor replaced anyhow. Tested Alternator, again, good. Vendor also replaced it anyhow. In total darkness, I noticed the Battery light on the dashboard glowing dimly with the key off. That stopped when fuse 6 was pulled. Tested Diode in PDB, replaced with different one. No change. Tried all the tricks listed in this forum and others, still had to pull fuse 6 or no start after about 5 hours. Battery Dead. Charged normally once started. monitored voltage via OBDII, normal when running and it was where it was supposed to be. Some other folks had mentioned that perhaps a bad/sticking ignition switch mechanism in the column could cause the idiot light issue. No amount of wiggling and jiggling of that switch and the rod inside the column made any difference.

Finally got tired of pulling that gol-darned fuse every time I parked the thing. So, I decided to improvise.

Disconnected battery cables, loosened the Distribution box from its bracket and snapped the bottom cover off. Determined what wire went to the load side of fuse 6, which is a larger yellow with white stripe. There is also a smaller (16 gauge?) yellow/white in the bundle, but that goes to the wiper relay and is not the one I wanted. The larger wire is the one I needed. Cut it. Spliced in about 12 inches of same gauge wire to both ends and routed them out the bottom of the pdb. Then, I put some connectors on the ends and hooked them to a 30 amp relay. Ran a separate wire to ground. Ran the trigger wire thru the firewall (I poked a small hole in the E-Brake boot and fished it thru there) and attached it to the switched power wire to the rear wiper, up by the radio. (Im old and fat and dont fit under the dashboard and this wire is pretty easy to reach with radio surround popped off.) That rear Wiper doesnt work anyhow, so no loss there!
Now, when I turn the key off, the charging circuit is deactivated. When I turn the key on, it is live again. No dim batt light and more importantly, no DEAD BATTERY and the circuit is still protected by the original 15 amp fuse.
Is this the ultimate fix? No. I didnt find out what the real problem is. On the other hand - The problem hasn't recurred in 5 days. Most importantly, no magic smoke has escaped from under the hood or dashboard!!! :)

This may not be your issue, but I cant be the only one to have experienced this particular power drain.

Hope this helps someone out there!

I did a Parasitic draw test and pulled fuses and it came back good but there's still something draining my battery and I checked all the grounds and they are good and I don't understand what is draining battery after two days sitting!! Any ideas
How, exactly did you measure the drain? If you did that by connecting an ampmeter between a battery terminal and the corresponding clamp, and it showed a low current ( under 50mA), the drain is entirely internal to the battery. If you hooked your meter somewhere else, there are more options, like those that others mentioned here.

How, exactly did you measure the drain? If you did that by connecting an ampmeter between a battery terminal and the corresponding clamp, and it showed a low current ( under 50mA), the drain is entirely internal to the battery. If you hooked your meter somewhere else, there are more options, like those that others mentioned here.
@1998Exp
What yer sayin' is, the measured battery out-flow current is LESS than enough to drain a healthy battery quickly, the LOSS is within the battery itself? Entirely possible. Minor plate-to-plate shorts within a battery, caused by sediment sludge entrapment, can bleed away charge quietly and undetected. Usual best policy regarding a battery of seemingly good standing, is to charge it up, measure each cell's Specific Gravity (via hydrometer), let it sit several days, then re-check each cell. If even ONE has dropped, throw the ******* away. imp

Back