'97 Ford Explorer AWFUL Creaking Sound After Tire Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 Ford Explorer AWFUL Creaking Sound After Tire Replacement

Hello, I just had all 4 tires replaced, aligned and balanced at Firestone. They charged me $860 and when I drove off the lot everything was fine, until I made it to the highway and then a very loud creaking sound started coming from my front left wheel well when I accelerate or decelerate. I doubt the mechanics did anything intentionally, but I did not just pay almost $900 for there to be any additional problems.
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition if this helps. What could this be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried checking the ball joints and bushings?

How old are the shocks, and the suspension BJ's and bushings? I'd probably take it back and discuss it with the alignment shop. They should have test drove it when they finished. I'd want their opinion about the sounds, they shouldn't charge you for that evaluation now.

Have you tried checking the ball joints and bushings?
So I took it back into Firestone the next day and one of their mechanics drove it around the block, he told me he heard the noise it was making when it drove, but when they lifted it again and spun the wheels the noise went away. He said it was safe to drive, so I did, I drove on the highway about 100 miles and when I got to my destination, and came to a slower speed, I heard a loud popping sound. This sound has continued to happen since I've been back home, it usually only happens when I start to accelerate too quickly from a complete stop, it's like a creak and pop, then goes away once I'm at a cruising speed. I've been driving very slowly to avoid the pop, and driving as little as possible. I'm not sure how to check the ball joints or bushings, do I take off the wheel for that?

How old are the shocks, and the suspension BJ's and bushings? I'd probably take it back and discuss it with the alignment shop. They should have test drove it when they finished. I'd want their opinion about the sounds, they shouldn't charge you for that evaluation now.
Well it's a '97 Explorer, I don't have any service records from the previous owner stating a replacement of the shocks, suspension, ball joints or bushings, so I'm guessing they are as old as the car itself. I took it back to Firestone the next day and they said the noise went away once they lifted it, but when it was on the road they heard it again. The mechanic said it wasn't dangerous to drive on, so I did, I drove it back toward my home as I was on vacation when I had the tires changed. After 100 miles on the highway, I got into my area and came to a slower speed, then a complete stop, once I started to accelerate I heard a loud popping sound. This sound hasn't gone away, I'm now back driving it around my town, and every time I accelerate too quickly (over 5mph) from a complete stop I hear the popping sound. It sounds like a creak and then a pop, like something is getting stuck when the wheel turns. I can't bring it to any shops in my area because I live on a seasonal island and the inflation rate is through the roof for repairs. Is this something I can do myself or should I take it back off island to get it done at a shop? I have a pretty decent understanding of car repairs, I've done a lot of them myself, but the suspension and shocks seems like something that needs a more experienced hand.

Given an assumption of all original parts, I'd begin with the shocks. It will need the shocks in any case, and it needs more close inspection to hopefully locate the most critical need parts. A simple drive won't find it, and they should have looked very closely at the BJ boots, the CV boots if it's 4WD, the TRE's, and the hubs as much as those can be while assembled. If the parts are mostly original, it will likely need at least a BJ, maybe all four, and easily a hub and/or axle shaft. The parts themselves aren't that bad to buy, but each done alone could cost at least that much, so doing one at a time isn't the best idea. You should want to find and replace as many of what's needed, in one step.

The shocks are not hard to do with basic tools, other than the loosening of the top shock nuts. Those often don't want to come loose, an impact tool helps a lot with that.

Back