97 Ford Explorer OBDII Transmission Temperature | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Ford Explorer OBDII Transmission Temperature

Ex0888

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 1996
Hi All,

I haven't been able to find much information about using an OBDII scanner for a 97-01 ford explorer and whether they read transmission temperatures? Does anyone know if they do and can recommend any sensors?

Thanks

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elm 327 usb to obd2 adapter
Laptop
Forscan
= priceless ...well ten bux ..

Best scanner for our Ford's hands down
You can read all the sensors and control most of them
On demand tests. Reads codes from all your trucks modules
Etc....
I mean I was rolling down the Windows with my laptop lol

Yes, can read many real time variables thru OBD2 comm port for cars 1996 & later,
including Tranny temp, Coolant Temp, IntakeAir Temp, OxygenSensors, FuelLevel+Mileage....
Have an OBDLink MX+ bluetooth module ($100 on Amazon\Ebay, google it) & Samsung Android phon.
with practical DashBoard mode that I use while driving to monitor temps & other items.
There are many OBD2 scanner options, ranging in price from $20~$1000.
More links on OBD2 port here
What software are you using? I have Torque and Forscan.

Elm 327 usb to obd2 adapter
Laptop
Forscan
= priceless ...well ten bux ..

Best scanner for our Ford's hands down
You can read all the sensors and control most of them
On demand tests. Reads codes from all your trucks modules
Etc....
I mean I was rolling down the Windows with my laptop lol
Donalds - Are you aware of all sorts of temperature monitors in Forscan for ODB2 on 97 that Dillard000 mentions? I don't recall them. I have laptop Forscan and Android Torque but I'm new to both... Torque doesnt seem to be able to figure out what the vehicle is while Forscan which is Ford specific can.

Yes the intake temp
Coolant
Trans

OBDLink Free App, Torque Free App, BlueDriver Free App, CarScanner Free App, ForScan Free on laptop
Next time I'm in the car I'll take a look. I am curious about temperatures. Will they Apps indicate a normal range or does it expect you know what a normal temperature range is? Thanks.

My transmission runs on average 165f in the summer
I've seen it go up to 180

If you install an Android radio you can have screen full of 10 gauges with a choice of any OBD or Ford Parameter (there are 100s.)

I've still got the OEM stock AM\FM\Cassette radio!
Any recommendations on what Make+Model android+obd radio+screen works well & what to avoid?
They are not mainstream mass market items because in most cases the Chinese manufacturer does not release the Android source code (that is a big license violation if you use GPL software). That is why you don't see carmakers installing pure Android radios, they have to release their source.

Mine is a few years old, works well, a few glitches, but the company isn't around anymore. I bought another one for another car recently, it actually has no depth so it can fit in almost any vehicle. There are many like these if you search around, probably can get for a few bucks less: Double 2Din Android 9.1 7" 1080P Car pLAYER Stereo Radio GPS Wifi QUAD-Core | eBay

This is a newer style where you can have two apps on 1/2 the screen:
US $68.8 57% OFF|Podofo Radio 2 Din Android 7
Also has the USBs on the bezel, so you don't need to mount them somewhere else. You can prob find it on ebay.

I got mine from AliExpress. Mine was "caroler" brand. Carlaoer Store - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress. They have 1000s of positive reviews. I actually got support from the company, they claim to make head units for OEMs (who install their own software).

They aren't perfect, but they are certainly a step up from what is there.

Back