97 Ford Explorer XLT V8 5.0 Overdrive Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Ford Explorer XLT V8 5.0 Overdrive Problem

KINNEY201

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT V8
Hi,
Recently, my overdrive light has stopped working. I push the button and the light no longer comes on. I've checked all of the fuses and they all seem to be fine. The manual said to check the continuity of the transmission control switch. I did, but I'm not sure if I did it right.

I attached the alligator clip to one of the posts on the switch, pressed the button and held the tester to the other post. The light on the tester lit up. Does this mean the button is bad or good?

If bad, where can I find a replacement transmission control switch? I can't seem to find one.

If good, what else could be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you drive it does the overdrive still function normally?

might something as simple as the idiot light in the dash being burnt out.......

To be honest, I'm not sure. I've never really understood how exactly the overdrive system worked in the first place. When I'm driving and push the button, the engine does seem to change, but again, I'm not sure when it's on or off without the light. I guess that's why they call it an idiot light, some of us need it. :D

The button is OD lockout when the light is on. It could be as simple as the bulb is burned out, or there is a fuse that when blown, won't let the button operate. It is labeled in the owners manual, double check all your fuses, a visual inspection is not sufficient, test each fuse with multimeter.

I have already checked the fuses with a fuse tester and they all were functional. Any other suggestions? How about the continuity of the button?

The button is momentary contact only- not very likely that it is bad. What I suggest is get out on the road, get going to 50 mph or so, push the button, see if your RPM's go up. Push it again, if they drop, then all is well except for your bulb.

Back