97 Ford Explorer XLT V8 O2 Sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Ford Explorer XLT V8 O2 Sensor

KINNEY201

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT V8
Hi,
For about a month now, my check engine light has been coming on and off every few days. Each time, I pull the P0153 code = O2 Sensor CKT Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1). Does this mean it the O2 sensor needs to be replaced? If so, can anyone give details about where to find it? Is it easy to replace? Anyone have pictures of its location? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if there is another cause, but the ease of replacement depends on which sensor it is. I think it is bank 0 secondary that is easy to get to under the vehicle. I had to go through the access panel under the center console to get to the other side secondary, but others have done it withouth going that route.

Do a search on the site and you'll be able to find which is which. There are 4. Two primary, and two secondary.

maybe I can help a little. im about to do this job tomorrow on my ohv v6, o2 po153 on the v6 i have 3 o2 senors. one in each bank and one post cat. and the hard one is on the right side bank 2 sensor 1.

I looked under the truck and found two. One before the cat and one after. The manual says that there should be two but says that the models vary. There could be one upstream, one downstream........two upstream.......or two downstream. How can I tell?

There should be one on each side of each front cat.

I have a slow response )2 code in my 98 Mounty, with 174k on it. It has been this way for almost two years. I believe that with high enough mileage all four O2 sensors should be changed. I have four new from Ford, they are high, I'm putting it off for a while longer.

Spray the O2 sensor threads long before starting the work. The hardest part about them is getting them to turn the first 1/8 turn. Once broken loose it's all down hill. Good luck,

Back