'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild"

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild" FINALLY DONE!

EDIT: Adding the details to the first post now that the project is finished.

OK, I finally got tired of trying to figure out this stupid 21" neon high-mount brake light problem, and in the process ended up with two lamp assemblies. So, after searching for the best fix, I finally decided to gut one of the assemblies, and build by own LED array to put inside it. Here is what I did ....

• After removing the assembly from the truck, and the lamp from the assembly, I baked the lamp in the oven at about 200-250 for 15-20 minutes, or just long enough to be able to "peal" off the lens. After doing that, removing the neon lamp, and cleaning it up, here is what I had.
DSCN3595.jpg

• Here is the assembly after being baked, and cleaned up, and the neon lamp removed, with some measurements shown:
explorer_third_brake_lamp.jpg

• Next, I had to find some LEDs. I finally found some that would work and purchased them from Super Bright LEDs:
  • I ended up settling on the 8 candella RED (RL5-R8030), but after seeing it all done, I'd probably go with the 12 candella if I did it again (RL5-R12008), as they are brighter, and have a sharper viewing angle. You can always tone down the brightness if it is too bright, and although I could brighten mine up a bit, it would mean less protection for the LEDs.
  • Next I found a piece of breadboard to mount the LEDs to. You can probably find something at Radio Shack, but you might have to make a two piece array, depending on the size you get, and how long you actually want your array to be. Notice in the image above that the assembly is about 3/4" tall, but since the back of the housing is curved, the array needs to be thinner than that so that it can fit comfortably down inside, so the lens does not hit the LEDs.
  • I cut the breadboard so that it would fit inside the housing. When doing this, measure carefully so that the breadboard will fit down inside the housing, otherwise the LEDs will touch the lens and you'll have trouble putting it back together. Learn from me - I had to do a lot of fine tuning to get everything assembled.
  • After determining how many LEDs I wanted, and how far apart they should be, I placed the leads through the breadboard and glued them in place. Be sure they are pushed down all the way, and are flat, or your LEDs won't line up perfectly, which is easy to see with these small viewing angle LEDs.
  • Next, I soldered the LEDs and resistors to make the arrays. I have 3 arrays of 5 LEDs each. You can use this link to help determine the resistor size needed for each array:
  • Here is the LED array in progress. This was the dry run, before cutting the breadboard and glueing the LEDs.
DSCN3938.jpg

• After cutting, glueing, soldering, and wiring up the array, I was ready for the fine tuning, and fitting into the housing. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of that, but you get the idea.
  • I searched high and low for just the right glue to use, but in the end I just used hot glue on the array, and clear RTV to glue the array into the housing, seal any extra holes (I brought both wires out a single hole), and glue the lens back on. I also used electrical tape to hold stuff together while it was drying. I did it in stages and let everything fully dry before I put the lens back on.
  • Here is a BAD picture of the array finished, and everything dry fit.
DSCN4183.jpg

• And finally, with everything glued and dry, I took the plug off the old ballast and used that on the new LED array. Make sure you feed the wires through the hole in the tailgate before placing the plug on the wires (I had to go back and cut mine off again :rolleyes: )
  • After reinstalling on my truck, here is what it looks like.
DSCN4356.jpg

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are any questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SkanlaxJMO said:
looking great.....what has been in the back of the tail gate for the past year?.....in place of the third brake light. a hole?...or does the red lens stay in place?

To get through inspection last year I pulled the 3rd brake light out of my old VW, wired it up and taked it to the window (of course it gell off). The guys passed me. After that I found a third brake light for $5 at Harbor Freight that had double sided tape around the bezel, and that sticks right inside the window. I put tape over all the wholes in the gate from removing the stick lamp assembly.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

V8BoatBuilder said:
That's way more spiffy than mine - rock on!

But you also finished yours over 3 months ago. There's something to be said for that. ;)

I got a LED strip at allelectronics.com

What did you get? Do you have it working yet? Photos? What mcd rating are the LEDs? Did you fit it inside the existing lamp housing?

If you are talking about this thing:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/LBR-2/360/16.25"#34;_RED_LIGHTBAR_.html
I guess it might work, but there are no specs for the dimensions, LED brightness, etc. I didn't want to start buying a bunch of stuff until I found something that would work, so if you know this works, then it might be a solution for some.

Finally Done!

OK, so I'm pretty darn slow when it comes to projects, but eventually I get them done. Here are some photos of the finished product, finally back on the truck. As bright is this was when I was working on it, that red lens really takes some away, and I am a little surprised that it isn't brighter, but it'll work. If I was doing another I think I'd go ahead and get the next brighter LED.

DSCN4356.jpg

DSCN4357.jpg

DSCN4358.jpg

'97 Neon Third Brake Lamp Rebuild

Now that I am finally done, I'll go ahead and put everything in one place.

• After removing the assembly from the truck, and the lamp from the assembly, I baked the lamp in the oven at about 200-250 for 15-20 minutes, or just long enough to be able to "peal" off the lens. After doing that, removing the neon lamp, and cleaning it up, here is what I had.
DSCN3595.jpg

• Next, I had to find some LEDs. I finally found some that would work and purchased them from Super Bright LEDs:
  • I ended up settling on the 8 candella RED (RL5-R8030), but after seeing it all done, I'd probably go with the 12 candella if I did it again (RL5-R12008), as they are brighter, and have a sharper viewing angle. You can always tone down the brightness if it is too bright, and although I could brighten mine up a bit, it would mean less protection for the LEDs.
  • Next I found a piece of breadboard to mount the LEDs to. You can probably find something at Radio Shack, but you might have to make a two piece array, depending on the size you get, and how long you actually want your array to be.
  • I cut the breadboard so that it would fit inside the housing. When doing this, measure carefully so that the breadboard will fit down inside the housing, otherwise the LEDs will touch the lens and you'll have trouble putting it back together. Learn from me - I had to do a lot of fine tuning to get everything assembled.
  • After determining how many LEDs I wanted, and how far apart they should be, I placed the leads through the breadboard and glued them in place. Be sure they are pushed down all the way, and are flat, or your LEDs won't line up perfectly, which is easy to see with these small viewing angle LEDs.
  • Next, I soldered the LEDs and resistors to make the arrays. I have 3 arrays of 5 LEDs each. You can use this link to help determine the resistor size needed for each array:
  • Here is the LED array in progress. This was the dry run, before cutting the breadboard and glueing the LEDs.
DSCN3938.jpg

• After cutting, glueing, soldering, and wiring up the array, I was ready for the fine tuning, and fitting into the housing. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of that, but you get the idea.
  • I searched high and low for just the right glue to use, but in the end I just used hot glue on the array, and clear RTV to glue the array into the housing, seal any extra holes (I brought both wires out a single hole), and glue the lens back on. I also used electrical tape to hold stuff together while it was drying. I did it in stages and let everything fully dry before I put the lens back on.
  • Here is a BAD picture of the array finished, and everything dry fit.
DSCN4183.jpg

• And finally, with everything glued and dry, I took the plug off the old ballast and used that on the new LED array. Make sure you feed the wires through the hole in the tailgate before placing the plug on the wires (I had to go back and cut mine off again :rolleyes: )
  • After reinstalling on my truck, here is what it looks like.
DSCN4356.jpg

rizzjc said:
Easy! (Sorta). Drill out about 5 rivets at the bottom (I think you get to them with the glass open. Then remove two "snap nuts" from either end, which you access with the gate open. Then full the rubber plugs to access 3 nuts that are behind the lamp itself. Of course, to get in there you gotta pull back the plastic trim inside the gate, along the top.

Just finished reading the entire thread. Very nicely done. Congrats.
I have a question, I may have missed one part: How did you re-assemble the part where you drilled out the 5 rivets? Bolts?, screws?, Size?

Thanks,
95Bauer in Raleigh

Actually, nothing, yet. I might go back and put rivets back in there. It's not going anywhere though. Come by and take a look if you want.

has anyone tried Hagan streetrod parts they have all kinds L E D lights . Just a thought !

The problem with this particular model year is that there really isn't a direct replacement that would fit properly, and you'd have to patch holes, etc. I looked high and low, but nothing. Lots of places have LED third brake lights, but none of them have specs, so it's hard to figure out what would fit. They just cross as direct replacement for your vehicle (I think spoilerlights.com is one), but they don't have a direct replacement for the Explorer ('96-'97 anyway).

rizzjc said:
Actually, nothing, yet. I might go back and put rivets back in there. It's not going anywhere though. Come by and take a look if you want.

Thanks for your offer. I'll take you up on it during a weekend sometime. I need to do something. Mine is not functioning and inspection is in June. Is the high-mount light required to pass? The other lights work fine.

Maybe we can meet around NCSU on a Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon.

Thanks again.

Well, if you want a quick fix to get you through inspection you can run by Harbor Freight on Capital, and for $5 you can get a third brake light that sticks inside the back window. I also have a replacement ballast that I got which you could try, and my old lamp with neon bulb. Either of these would be for sale, if they work. I could never figure out which was bad, the ballast or the lamp, and I tried two of each, so I gave up and did this.

My truck isn't running at the moment, so it depends when I get it back together. Hopefully this week if I can find the part I need.

I updated the first post to provide all of the details of the "rebuild". Let me know if you have questions.

I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of electronics...did you just buy the LEDs, glue em in and wire them up or do i need capacitors and all that stuff? i have a 96. also...have you guys ever thought of making LED taillights this way? That would be sweet. it would work the same way, no? can LEDs light at multiple brightnesses, like for the tail and then brake light?

Very simple. You just need an array of LEDs in series, and a current limiting resistor. In mine I used 3 arrays of 5 LEDs, each with a limiting resistor. It all goes in series. Just have to be sure you don't wire the LEDs backwards.

I think for taillight you would just buy a replacement "bulb" made with LEDs. That would be the easiest thing. Check the superbrightled site - they have some products.

I thought this thread might get added to the list of useful threads, but I guess it's not worthy. :( Seems to be a lot of people running into this problem.

rizzjc said:
I thought this thread might get added to the list of useful threads, but I guess it's not worthy. :( Seems to be a lot of people running into this problem.

Here's a vote to add to the list of useful threads. Your method eliminates the ballast & neon bulb and the issues associated with them. Maybe there's an aftermarket oppty here? :D

Hah. Thanks. Maybe I should go into business buying junk yard lamps and gutting them and selling them as LED lamps. ;) But even the junk yards want a bunch for the lamp, so it would still be an expensive proposition.

I think that if I build another one, I can make it even better.

Simple fix for the third brake light

#rd brakelight. almost pulled it apart and went crazy. my friend greg and i talked about it, then agreed to try the simplest thing first. Replace the bulbs for the other rear lights. Those were screwing up the 3rd brakelight. no problems since. less than $10 bucks to fix.

Back