'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild" | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild"

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild" FINALLY DONE!

EDIT: Adding the details to the first post now that the project is finished.

OK, I finally got tired of trying to figure out this stupid 21" neon high-mount brake light problem, and in the process ended up with two lamp assemblies. So, after searching for the best fix, I finally decided to gut one of the assemblies, and build by own LED array to put inside it. Here is what I did ....

• After removing the assembly from the truck, and the lamp from the assembly, I baked the lamp in the oven at about 200-250 for 15-20 minutes, or just long enough to be able to "peal" off the lens. After doing that, removing the neon lamp, and cleaning it up, here is what I had.
DSCN3595.jpg

• Here is the assembly after being baked, and cleaned up, and the neon lamp removed, with some measurements shown:
explorer_third_brake_lamp.jpg

• Next, I had to find some LEDs. I finally found some that would work and purchased them from Super Bright LEDs:
  • I ended up settling on the 8 candella RED (RL5-R8030), but after seeing it all done, I'd probably go with the 12 candella if I did it again (RL5-R12008), as they are brighter, and have a sharper viewing angle. You can always tone down the brightness if it is too bright, and although I could brighten mine up a bit, it would mean less protection for the LEDs.
  • Next I found a piece of breadboard to mount the LEDs to. You can probably find something at Radio Shack, but you might have to make a two piece array, depending on the size you get, and how long you actually want your array to be. Notice in the image above that the assembly is about 3/4" tall, but since the back of the housing is curved, the array needs to be thinner than that so that it can fit comfortably down inside, so the lens does not hit the LEDs.
  • I cut the breadboard so that it would fit inside the housing. When doing this, measure carefully so that the breadboard will fit down inside the housing, otherwise the LEDs will touch the lens and you'll have trouble putting it back together. Learn from me - I had to do a lot of fine tuning to get everything assembled.
  • After determining how many LEDs I wanted, and how far apart they should be, I placed the leads through the breadboard and glued them in place. Be sure they are pushed down all the way, and are flat, or your LEDs won't line up perfectly, which is easy to see with these small viewing angle LEDs.
  • Next, I soldered the LEDs and resistors to make the arrays. I have 3 arrays of 5 LEDs each. You can use this link to help determine the resistor size needed for each array:
  • Here is the LED array in progress. This was the dry run, before cutting the breadboard and glueing the LEDs.
DSCN3938.jpg

• After cutting, glueing, soldering, and wiring up the array, I was ready for the fine tuning, and fitting into the housing. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of that, but you get the idea.
  • I searched high and low for just the right glue to use, but in the end I just used hot glue on the array, and clear RTV to glue the array into the housing, seal any extra holes (I brought both wires out a single hole), and glue the lens back on. I also used electrical tape to hold stuff together while it was drying. I did it in stages and let everything fully dry before I put the lens back on.
  • Here is a BAD picture of the array finished, and everything dry fit.
DSCN4183.jpg

• And finally, with everything glued and dry, I took the plug off the old ballast and used that on the new LED array. Make sure you feed the wires through the hole in the tailgate before placing the plug on the wires (I had to go back and cut mine off again :rolleyes: )
  • After reinstalling on my truck, here is what it looks like.
DSCN4356.jpg

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are any questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was getting ready to leave town for camp and thought, get my car inspected and real quick like get the new tags. Until the inspector failed me for the 3rd brake light. So I hurried home, disassembled it and installed a dome lamp bulb (the type that looks like a fuse with thin wire hoop on each end). I soldered some wire to the ends and, using slide connectors, connected it to the wires that I cut from the ballast. I had to convince the inspector that I had removed the glass tube and installed a single bulb in the center. He said ok, after all it works. I still want to fix it right and I checked the forum because some time back I remembered seeing a repair posted. Besides, who wants to pay $160 or more to fix this. Thanks again for the excellent pics. Really helpful, be blessed!:D
It's no prob, I'm always happy to help, I don't know if its just me, but we don't need inspections where I live, but yeah prices are ridiculous for something like that, my ballast and tube was broken, so led's were the way to go for me, be sure to take pics! Oh and don't forget to use a sealent like silicone for the lense and the housing (waterproofing ftw)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My biggest question is that when you drill out the rivets and you go to reinstall the whole high mount brake light, will it still seat properly without installing new rivets?

I think you kinda need the rivets. It'll work, but eventually it'll catch on something and you'll start tearing up the bezel. How old is this thread .... I STILL haven't actually re-installed my bezel yet.

Might just try getting a used ballast from the JY and see where everything goes from there.

I've found that $10 on a JY ballast is the easiest fix yet...for me that is! I guess I just don't have the patience for this DIY trick..LOL

I even lucked out and got 2 of them for $10, so there's always a back-up if needed...:D

Good luck!

Was it easy to get to the ballast?

Was it easy to get to the ballast?

Extremely easy. I just went to my JY and took my ballast with me for a visual (or go with the guys if need be) and they took it off the salvage EX and that was it.

It was very easy for me to change it out myself as well.....

I got a used ballast first, and it didn't work, and I couldn't figure out if it was the ballast or the lamp, 'cause there is no way to test the lamp. So, I gave up and went this route. Certainly worth trying the ballast first though.

I got a used ballast first, and it didn't work, and I couldn't figure out if it was the ballast or the lamp, 'cause there is no way to test the lamp. So, I gave up and went this route. Certainly worth trying the ballast first though.

That's what I did. Got a couple used ballasts from a local JY for $10 a piece and come to find out that's all I needed and damn the 3rd brake light is BRIGHT

Know the operating volatge

:ca:One caution using LED's is they have max operating voltage and depending on the type this is between 2.5 volts to 3.9 volts (max I've seen) . The operating volt is between 2 & 3 volts respectively . So with that said without the mentioned resistors or running them in series to give the applicable total voltage across them . Running them at or close the max voltage greatly shortens the life .

I just found this thread and it greatly helped me out!

I was wandering around at Advance the other day and found "Flex LED Lights", They have them in a few different lengths and they use the led "chip" technology. For $25 you get 24 inches of very bright leds, each led about 1/2 inche apart. No messing with resistors and all that, just peel the backing off of these and stick them in your housing! (I ran a bead of glue down mine as insurance) Long story short, these made it easy to do this fix and it looks awesome! The link will show you the lights on, the previouse pic on there is the led strips in the housing.

Picture0814122018_1.jpg

Back