'97 Limited 5.0 V8 AWD Drive shaft problem! Please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 Limited 5.0 V8 AWD Drive shaft problem! Please help!

jzhoward

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport Trac
I have a front drive shaft problem! I think it's by or is the CV joint of the front drive shaft. It's near the transfer case end. There is a boot torn and grease is leaking out. I was on a trail and got water/dirt in it and it made scratching/grinding noise like nails on a chalkboard when i accelerated. Autozone says they don't deal with driveshafts. Another auto parts store couldn't identify the problem or find the part. I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer.($$$) I had this same issue about a year ago, had it fixed, now it's back. Any suggestions could help! I'm going to try to do this myself. Thanks!!

JZH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cheapest is from orielly's
It will have a lifetime warranty-and thank goodness the replacement is simple because they are hit and miss-

You need to measure the length, between the welds-as there are 3 different possibilties for that particular year-

It could be 22 3/4" , 23 7/8" , or even the longer earlier 97 version.

Now-if yours matches this number-i can tell you it is the 22 3/4" version.

Attachments

• Front drive shaft bad.jpg
    Front drive shaft bad.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,534
  • front drive shaft part number.jpg
    front drive shaft part number.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,347

Thank you very much Jon! I'll measure and check with O'riley's today! Are you talking about replacing the entire thing or just the boot inside there? I priced that section of driveshaft and it was around 250. Thanks!

If dust/dirt got in you need to replace the drive shaft. I don't beleive anyone makes just the rubber boot.

Back