• Register Today It's free!

97 Mounty AWD.....lowered?

wingcmdr

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 97 Mounty 5.0 AWD. Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to lower it with the torsion bars like I've seen done with the 2wd and 4x4 versions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The torsion bars will lower the front a bit. I got 2 inches with mine. Just what I was looking for. To do the rear the same is a bit different but almost as easy with lowering blocks. Just be ready to do an alignment as it does affect your camber.

Did you get the 2" just by removing the adjuster screws? 1.5"-2" lower is what I'm looking for. Yea I know about doing the rear with the blocks, was just wanting to make sure it's work the same up front with an AWD. How did it affect the ride and handling when you dropped it 2"?

Yes, I removed the bolts completely. Handles a bit better actually. The only issue I've had is occasionally going over a high speed bump it will hit the bumpstop. Once that's addressed I'm sure it will do me for the life of the X.

How much do you think we'll have to shave our bump stops?

Ah, nice find, looks like I won't be shaving HAHA

I have the same Mountaineer that I have used the entire drive train for a build I am doing and I lowered mine with 2" blocks rear and removed front torsion bolts completely today. It was simple and took very little time. I removed the front bump stops and was looking for some lower profile ones! :thumbsup: I now need an alignment and most likely adjuster cams.

Back