• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

97 no heat

emac08

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 sport
blowing cold air i checked coolant its fine also engine temp has been running low any suggestions

checked blend door it opens when ac is on closed when heat is turned on is this what it is supposed to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

c-dooxp girl

Reaction score
City, State
canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport

Heavymentill

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Limited
Sounds like a thermostat.

VOATMJ1

Reaction score
City, State
Southwest, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4X4
Sounds like a thermostat.
Yep, sounds the the stat to me as well, if the temp gage is reading low. Your thermostat may be stuck open and not allowing the engine to heat up properly.

snoborder42

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Valley/Downtown Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4x4
I was having this exact problem up to this last weekend. I had very little heat and it took forever to get it too. And the temp gauge would barely even move. I finally got around to changing the thermostat and coolant. And for the first time in the 3 years that I've owned my expo I have heat and the gauge actually gets into the normal range. :thumbsup:

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Its either gonna be a bad thermostat or a bad blend door. To verify, turn the truck on to AC and MAX AC and see if cold air comes thru the vents. If there is luke warm air coming thru the vents in AC and cold air in MAX AC then chances are its the blend door. I would start with the easiest, that being the thermostat. For a SOHC it should run about $15 for the thermostat plus a few dollars for the seal for the thermostat. OHV is probably around $5 plus a few dollars for the seal as well.